Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wont turn on...

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ChrisMN

ChrisMN

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 AM

Posted 20 November 2009 - 03:44 AM

Bleepin Community -

I have browsed some threads but find nothing related to my issue.

I went to turn on my computer today and it won't even power up or anything... I have made no hard or software modifications recently nor have any system settings have been changed.

The last time I used the computer I shut it down and switched off the power strip before going to bed - now I wake up and the power wont turn on.

I have checked to see if any wires possibly came undone inside the case, and I have also examined the power button connections and there doesn't seem to be any problems.

When my PC is plugged in there is a standby light on the main board that is constantly on(even when the PC is off). And that light still works so I am guessing the power supply is not the problem.

If a motherboard crashes does the PC even try to power up when power button is pressed?

If a hard drive crashes does the PC even try to power up when power button pressed?

Thank you :thumbsup:

CMN

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• BC Advisor
  • 2,125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 AM

Posted 20 November 2009 - 07:35 AM

Can you tell us what kind of computer you have: Model, Manufacturer?

This might helps us help you.

Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#3 ChrisMN

ChrisMN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2009 - 06:10 PM

Oh yeah... Sorry I forgot to include my specs.

I have an Emachines T3624, w/ an Intel i845G chipset. After a Google search, it seems that this guy in another computer repair forum had the same issue with the same machine. Just incase that helps you guys.

Thanks for your response. Ill try to respond ASAP to any questions but please excuse me for I am having to use a PDA device to access the internet(Since my PC is sick)

Again, thanks

CMN

#4 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• BC Advisor
  • 2,125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 AM

Posted 21 November 2009 - 08:35 AM

E-machines are known for having power supply issues. The first thing I would do is borrow a power supply and try booting your computer.

The unfortunate problem is, E-machines power supplies also have a tendency to take the motherboard out with them when they go bad.

I would still try the power supply first and go from there.

Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#5 ChrisMN

ChrisMN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2009 - 03:52 PM

Techextreme,

Thanks, I to have heard the same about emachines and bestec power supplies. I surely hope that the PSU didn't take out the mobo but with my luck, it did. :thumbsup:

I am in a somewhat small town and will be travelling to Salt Lake City for the upcoming holiday weekend where I will bring my PC and I will test it on another power supply.

Do all power supplies come with the same wiring harness? Or am I going to have to break out the soldering iron? ( I only ask since I've never had to replace a PSU in 12 years )

Also, do all/most power supplies have the same physical dimensions? So that I can slide it in where the old bestec PSU is and use the original screw holes to mount it to the top of the tower?

Thanks for your assistance, and patience as I am a newbie!

CMN

#6 ChrisMN

ChrisMN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2009 - 04:10 PM

Additionally

I know its hard to say without being able to test my system yourself. But I would find alot of comfort knowing that my hard drive is ok... Do you think it was not affected during [whatever caused this]?

Ok, say my mobo is croaked, could I get a new(identical, or not) motherboard and still be able to load up Windows and access my hard drive as I did before? I have over 50GB of UN-backed up media, files, and records on the hard drive.

Also, what about add ons I've put on my MOBO, ie: the 2 memory(RAM) sticks that are on the MOBO. If the mobo fried, are the RAM sticks ruined too? My 56k fax modem?

Thank you

#7 PCwarrior

PCwarrior

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 AM

Posted 22 November 2009 - 02:32 AM

Your hard drive has all your stuff on it still. The OS and all is there. the problems retrieving it, can start with the OS still being there as well(reauthorization) with new mobo might be interesting. But a call to microsoft about the E-machine failure is prob. all it would take to get the OS back up as well. there are all kinds of options as to how you reaccesse the hard drive so don't give up on that(Linux). As long as the hard drive will spin up and the unit didn't take the voltage spike, your fine there. You could put the hard drive in a working system and do the reauthorization of your version of OS and have all you stuff and a better pc to boot.
You are probably looking at a mobo and psu at this point. I say that because of things Ive read and experience with other garage sale e machines, so a new used pc in working order may be less expensive and more to your liking. Then sub in your hard drive. As for add ons and there survivability idk for sure. Ram could be effected by what seems to be the cause of E-mach failure but id look up lots of write ups by system techs before trusting most board mounted items. The PSU was supplying the wrong voltage for just a few moments at the end but may have been doing so in random situations as well before the total failure. Best wishes

Edited by PCwarrior, 22 November 2009 - 02:34 AM.

(new,12/23/09) ASUS Crosshair III, Phenom IIx4 955 Blk Ed, Zalman 9500 HS, Saphire 5770 vga, W-7/64bit, 8g/Corsair/1600 RAM, 850w HX Corsair PSU, WD CB/500gb HD, Pioneer CD/DVD, Smilodon/Dirk-Tooth(modded), All custom&controlled fans. Shhhh lol :)

#8 PCwarrior

PCwarrior

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 AM

Posted 22 November 2009 - 03:02 AM

As for your other questions related to PSUs. No all are not the same size. But if you find one around the same wattage it most likely will be. The back of the case mounts are almost 90% the same, but length as you get higher wattage tends to grow. Fan mounting in most are on bottom, but some have a fan mounted in back, witch wouldn't cause a prob but others have the fan on top so this must be noted from your unit. The wires that come out of em are generally very accommodating. Meaning that they normally have more than you need for most applications. Unless you have added many powered items and or modded much you should be fine with a standard ATX PSU. I haven't got the specs or an open case of your version or make of pc here so be sure to look close at your unit, and compare your parts, to available replacements before purchase. I'm not positive of the most common effect that the power supply failure has on the mobo, but the failure may take out a new power supply or not allow it to operate. I hope others with such knowledge can be of assistance.
They make a power supply tester that might help diagnose your PSU , to be sure that is indeed what has taken place. A tester would be a cheap way to be sure that was the culprit and might explain why a new power supply wont fire up the mobo any more iether.
(new,12/23/09) ASUS Crosshair III, Phenom IIx4 955 Blk Ed, Zalman 9500 HS, Saphire 5770 vga, W-7/64bit, 8g/Corsair/1600 RAM, 850w HX Corsair PSU, WD CB/500gb HD, Pioneer CD/DVD, Smilodon/Dirk-Tooth(modded), All custom&controlled fans. Shhhh lol :)

#9 ChrisMN

ChrisMN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2009 - 03:51 PM

PCWarrior, thanks.

I will test the PSU and go from there.

CMN

#10 ChrisMN

ChrisMN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2009 - 12:18 AM

I tested the power supply and it is fine. I tried a new power supply in my machine and it still wont boot. Likewise I tried my old power supply in another computer and it works fine.

NOW we know that the problem is not the PSU!

Ive used a ball point pen to try to jump the terminals(on the mobo) where the power button connects and it does not start it either so I am sure the power button is fine.

Seems to me that its the mobo... I've looked around for an identical match so I can boot up with my hard drive without any issues arising. I know that its probably not as easy as it seems but I just want to in order to be able to access my things. (incl windows, and media stored on the hard drive.)

I couldn't seem to find the mobo on newegg.com or even in google searches.
Any input?

Thanks

Edited by ChrisMN, 05 December 2009 - 12:19 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users