Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need advice on how to clean monitor casing that has dust stuck on due to cigarette smoke

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mich2394

mich2394

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 PM

Posted 19 November 2009 - 07:20 PM

Hi!

I'm posting this here because I am in the hopes that people who work on monitors would give me the safest and best way to remove the dust stuck on by cigarette smoke from the monitor casing which has vents in the top and sides.

I have an older monitor, a gateway EV700. The type with the tubes and big as a tv.

The problem is that I can not just vacuum the dust off as the dust is stuck on due to cigarette smoke.

I was wondering if someone can tell me how to safely wash this dust off the plastic casing. I also am concerned that this not go into the vents. There are vents on the top and sides.

After removing the dust (from your advice on me how to) I am not sure if I can do anything about the vent holes themselves which also are pretty dusty.

I can't move this nor have anyone to move it so whatever I do I need to do with monitor sitting where it is.

Thank you for your help! :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2009 - 12:57 PM

I cannot think of a way without getting some dust in the vents
A little dust won't hurt the insides
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 mich2394

mich2394
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2009 - 01:12 PM

I cannot think of a way without getting some dust in the vents
A little dust won't hurt the insides

Hi and thank you for your reply! :thumbsup:

I forgot to ask this in my post above;

Do you know if I have to keep it unplugged a long time before I start cleaning it? I am worried about the possibility of getting shocked.

I've always been afraid of cleaning anything electronic, hence why the dust build up is so bad.

Thank you for your help!

Edited by mich2394, 20 November 2009 - 01:12 PM.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2009 - 08:11 PM

The location of the storage capacitor should be pretty well out of the way, where the monitor case will provide adequate protection from shock
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2009 - 04:08 AM

If your cleaning the screen and its glass use a good quality window cleaner with Amonia. If its the case your worried about use either window cleaner, if that doesn't work you can try GooGone or any citrus based cleaner lastly you can try Easy off Max (It contains Sodium Hydroxide [lye]) be careful with the oven cleaner as its caustic and corrosive, spray it on a towel and wipe the plastic. After using the oven cleaner wipe the monitor with a rag dampen with water.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users