Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Desktop Icons

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Popeye 238

Popeye 238

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 AM

Posted 19 November 2009 - 07:13 PM

I was downloading the 90 day trial Norton Antivirus (from the Norton site)when it stopped downloading, looked like it was done. I clicked on the icon and nothing happened so I rebooted my computer. When it booted up I was left with just my desktop pic, no icons, status bar, etc. I tried to right click but nothing. I rebooted in safe mode, nothing appeared except the safe mode logos and the Windows Xp logo at the top of the page. I'm only here on the net via Task manager.
Does anybopdy have any ideas what to do?
thanks.

Edited by Popeye 238, 19 November 2009 - 07:43 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,260 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2009 - 08:30 PM

http://shop.symantecstore.com/store/symnah...s=1258680351086

There are no 90-day trial downloads available at the Symantec website...30-day downloads for trials. The 90-day trials are those which come on systems sold by Dell, Gateway, HP, etc. as part of the installed software.

System manufacturer and model?

Do you have any XP or recovery/restore CDs?

What version of XP, what SP is installed?

Louis

#3 Popeye 238

Popeye 238
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2009 - 09:08 PM

Hi Louis, yeah sorry 30 day trial. Computer running XP SP3 p4 3ghz 1 meg ram, no orginal disks or restore disks, bought computer from wife's employer.

#4 Michael York

Michael York

Authorized Symantec Representative

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 AM

Posted 23 November 2009 - 05:37 PM

Hi Louis, yeah sorry 30 day trial. Computer running XP SP3 p4 3ghz 1 meg ram, no orginal disks or restore disks, bought computer from wife's employer.

Hi Popeye 238,

This is Mike from the Norton Authorized Support Team.

The issue you are having can be caused by a possible threat, a software compatibility problem, or a problem with Norton AntiVirus not being installed properly. Make sure that you do not have any other third-party, real-time AntiVirus software installed, as it can cause conflicts with Norton AntiVirus.

I would advise you to follow the steps below to properly remove any Norton files from your system and to then reinstall the trial copy.

1. Click on the following link to download the Norton Removal Tool:

Norton Removal Tool and Instructions

2. After you run the tool, please restart your computer. Then log in to Windows again and run the removal tool again. Restart your computer after it is finished running the second time as well.

3. Click on the link below to re-register and then download the latest installer for Norton AntiVirus trial.

Download a trial of Norton AntiVirus 2010

Thank you,
Mike
Michael York
Norton Authorized Support Team
Symantec Corporation
http://service.symantec.com/priority

#5 1kewldude

1kewldude

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2009 - 03:14 AM

Hi,

I too am having the same issues with my Desktop.

I now just have my desktop pic, with NO icons. If reinstalling it is the Last Resort. will do it and then get back to you.

I was downloading the 90 day trial Norton Antivirus (from the Norton site)when it stopped downloading, looked like it was done. I clicked on the icon and nothing happened so I rebooted my computer. When it booted up I was left with just my desktop pic, no icons, status bar, etc. I tried to right click but nothing. I rebooted in safe mode, nothing appeared except the safe mode logos and the Windows Xp logo at the top of the page. I'm only here on the net via Task manager.
Does anybopdy have any ideas what to do?
thanks.

#6 technicholls

technicholls

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 AM

Posted 25 November 2009 - 03:34 PM

I've found that this usually works,

1. CTRL-Alt-Del to bring up Task Manager.
2. Click File | New Task(run).
3. Type regedit in the Run box and click OK.
4. Browse to the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution.options

5. Under this key there will be subkeys named explorer.exe and iexplorer.exe. Delete the explorer and iexplorer keys entirely. They should not be listed under the Image File Execution.Options key.
6. Close the Registry Editor.
7. Restart the computer.

#7 Guest_The weatherman_*

Guest_The weatherman_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 25 November 2009 - 06:33 PM

Click on the link below to re-register and then download the latest installer for Norton AntiVirus trial.
Download a trial of Norton AntiVirus 2010

Thank you,
Mike

Alternately Popeye 238, use Avast free for free, no trial needed and it's realy good. How to Install, Configure, and Use Avast Antivirus. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users