Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

switching from vista to linux

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 doctorphibes

doctorphibes

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 PM

Posted 19 November 2009 - 06:45 PM

I run a medical practice and want to switch to Linux. How do I transfer necessary apps and info from windows to linux.
Thanks,
doc
I am enough of the artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. Albert Einstein

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2009 - 07:23 PM

You would need to determine if the present applications would run in Linux
You might have to use open-source or Linux- based replacements

I'm moving this to the Linux forum

Edited by garmanma, 19 November 2009 - 07:24 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 doctorphibes

doctorphibes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2009 - 07:27 PM

If they are able to run on Linux how do I back up info that is already stored on my HDD in windows?
Thanks
I am enough of the artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. Albert Einstein

#4 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 AM

Posted 20 November 2009 - 12:14 AM

Can you tell us these apps ?

Do you just need things like Microsoft word and excel ?

#5 doctorphibes

doctorphibes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2009 - 10:21 AM

Don't I wish! No these are programs like emedware it's like an AIO that keeps patient records, appts, charts, etc. I'm sur the company has a Linux based app but I'll probably get reemed in the process. I'd rather do it my self if possible but I probabaly won't get so lucky. Would a program like filezilla or something along those lines possibly help?
Our city has been hit hard by unemployment and people don't have insurance so I've been doing a lot of Pro Bono work and reduced fee work. In the last six months I've made about 25% of my normal income if that and have taken some hard financial hits besides. So I don't even know if I can afford to switch their apps ( they operate under the misconception that all Dr's are rich). I've noticed some medical software on here that's somewhat similar, but the task of having to hand key years and years of charts and diagnoses would be daunting to say the least. I dread the phone call. Oh well enough of that.
thanks for answering
doc

Edited by doctorphibes, 20 November 2009 - 10:36 AM.

#6 Trio3b

Trio3b

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 PM

Posted 21 November 2009 - 03:37 AM

If this is the Sage medware software then the site indicates Windows only. I don't know of any "free" native opensource medical management software.Try --> here. And check this article --> here.

It's possible that some other web based apps may work with FireFox on Linux. There are business management AIO "stacks" that you may be able to adapt. You could also look into Alfresco document management but I don't think it's an AIO. You may have to generate invoices,charts, etc separately with specific software and then track them with Alfresco.

Wish we could be of more help but these kind of applications have a tendency to be very Windows specific and because MicroSoft and friends want to be your partner for life (whether you want or not), they encrypt these formats so you can't leave. Probably will have to ask yourself why you are leaving Vista. Is Win7 an option? Migrated my business to Linux 5 years ago and haven't looked back but the kind of software you're looking for may be hard to replace in the foreseeable future.

Edited by Trio3b, 21 November 2009 - 03:43 AM.

#7 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2009 - 04:43 PM

Maybe a program like this http://www.oemr.org/ is something like what you're looking for. It's FOSS (Free open source software) [qutoe]OpenEMR is a free medical practice management, electronic medical records, prescription writing, and medical billing application.[/quote].
You may try dual booting one PC in your office to see if you like the way it and linux works (although that program is also available for windows ). Online demos are available to view.

Also a Wikipedia has a good sized list of open source (not all free, I'd imagine) medical apps and programs. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_open_...thcare_software

Edited by BlackSpyder, 21 November 2009 - 04:47 PM.

Posted Image

#8 Miljet

Miljet

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 PM

Posted 22 November 2009 - 11:25 PM

It just so happens that I ran across an open source application for maintaining medical records. I know absolutely nothing about it. The only reason that it caught my eye is that my sister manages a doctor's office. Anyway, here is the link if you want to check it out. http://gnumed.org/
BTW, it is available in the Ubuntu repositories. Good luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users