Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cmputer won't start

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 keldron

keldron

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 AM

Posted 19 November 2009 - 06:03 PM

Hello

Recently ( today ) I experienced a problem where my HP Media center edition m1070n computer won't even start .
Upon presssing power buttom all I hear is the fans starting and that's it ... I opened the case and tried starting my pc again and I actually confirmed visually that the fans are rotationg for a few seconds then everything shuts down .

Now after browsing some web sites and forums I think I narrowed down the problem to the power supply being bad , but is there any defenitive way of telling if it's power supply ?

Also how much would a new power supply run me ? and is replacing one an easy task for somebody who is medicore with comp hardware ?

sincerely

keldron :thumbsup:

Edited by keldron, 19 November 2009 - 06:05 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keldron

keldron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2009 - 06:04 PM

PS. I aqlso hear upon starting my computer a weird electrical like sound that sounds kinda like starting a car but it might be one of the fans or something ...

#3 keldron

keldron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2009 - 06:06 PM

I also read in a thread above mine something about jumpers and whatnot ? should I worry about that ? also I have enough money to buy new power supply if anything can give me any advice on what model / brand I should buy ??? ( I will most likelly buy it at my local best buy ) so if you could take a look at what they have on sale and point me to the one that will replace mine I would appreciate it .

Also hence the fans are turning is it possible my motherboard is fried ????

Any help is more then welcome as I am freaking out over here :thumbsup:

Edited by keldron, 20 November 2009 - 07:38 PM.

#4 DukeDanger

DukeDanger

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 AM

Posted 22 November 2009 - 01:55 AM

Pick up a power supply tester first, they are only a few bucks and work great. I got mine a couple years ago and have people calling me to use it all the time, lol.

#5 PCwarrior

PCwarrior

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 PM

Posted 22 November 2009 - 01:57 AM

Several baddies can cause the power up issue you describe. A failed, shorted, video card, a bad power supply fan, system device failure(shorts of all kinds). Any thing that consumes power from the power supply on start up can cause such failures. In your last post you mentioned jumpers. I 'm not sure if your referring to th e jumper test for starting a power supply( PSU= power,supply,unit ), but this test can be used to power up the PSU for a cool start, so to speak. Without the complete system start up draw. Even doing the testing would require some lead work on your behalf though.
In order to replace your power supply you have to become familiar with all the connections inside the PC first. This is important for testing your unit as well. You can test for shorted components by disconnecting there power connections. label any thing you disconnect and and only do so to drives not used for booting up. You need to have the hard drive available for boot but it could be a source of trouble as well, so maybe check it last. A video card(powered or not), floppy drive , second hard drive , cd drive , and system fans can cause a power supply to fail safe out ( turn off).
Did you experience any other abnormal behavior before this failure.
A PSU is not a real hard to replace item, But to get all items in the system unplugged and then re plugged in is a task. Be meticulous in your notes as to all connections removed, then reverse your list as you reinstall. In most cases the MOBO power connections the toughest to get at, but its doable for most. Just apply gentle force when reattaching power connections , and always be sure that connectors are in proper correlation to sockets and pins. When removing connections be sure your not fighting against socket locks. Some sockets have retainment keeps that help secure the plugs, so look at the connections well before to much force is applied for removal or reconnection.
I have had a video card that caused the same symptom. In that case, I had no warning. The system would not start. Fans ran for a moment then all would shut down. The vid card had a cooling fan stop and over heated several capacitors in turn drawing to much power(shorted) from PSU upon start up and caused it to fail safe off.
For any of us to offer a good referral for a possible replacement PSU we need to have a description of you pc and a list of any mods that you have made to it. I see you mention HP media center. Some one here will know more about its specs, than myself. By looking at the label on your current PSU you can tell what wattage not to dip below in stock configuration.
(new,12/23/09) ASUS Crosshair III, Phenom IIx4 955 Blk Ed, Zalman 9500 HS, Saphire 5770 vga, W-7/64bit, 8g/Corsair/1600 RAM, 850w HX Corsair PSU, WD CB/500gb HD, Pioneer CD/DVD, Smilodon/Dirk-Tooth(modded), All custom&controlled fans. Shhhh lol :)

#6 keldron

keldron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2009 - 05:23 PM

ok thx for the replies I'm at work at the moment but as soon as I get home I will reply with more details and whatnot :thumbsup:

#7 keldron

keldron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2009 - 12:59 PM

http://hpshopping.speedera.net/www.shoppin...eet/pc098a.html <---- basic specs for my PC

I upgraded it to 3 GB ram and I'm using Radeon 2600 PCI ( upgraded from the basic card ) I also use G5 USB mouse and G11 Keyboard .... but that's about it when it comes to any upgrades .

Also no I never experienced any weird behavior with my pc before :thumbsup:

Edited by keldron, 23 November 2009 - 01:00 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users