Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wifi Connection issues, will not stay connected....

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 delamaize

delamaize

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 AM

Posted 19 November 2009 - 04:04 PM

Hello everyone!
so here is what is going on, in a nutshell, my wife's laptop (older HP) will not stay connected to our Wifi network, it will connect, for a while at a decent speed, 54.0Mbps , then spraticly it will drop to 1 Mbps, then disconnect, usually "repairing" the connection will reconnect it, but eventually it will disconnect again, their is no uniformity to the duration of the disconnection, or the time it stays connected. then other times it will not connect at all, and it takes sevral "repairs" for it to connect. adding to the problem is the fact that we are in germany, with the US army, and the wifi router/DSL modem from T-Home is all in german.

Her machine:
HP Pavillion DV-1000
Intel Centrino
1.86Ghz
1Ghz ram
Windows XP Version 2002, SP3

the Network:
(not 100%, due to laungage barrier)
Wireless G
Secuity: WPA2-personal
Encription type: AES

So what I would like to know is what should I be checking? and what are the common problems that would cause this, I am thinking it might be something with the security, because we didn't have any problems with WPA, this is the first time we are using WPA2, and I can't figure out how to change it (Laungage barrier).

Also, what other information do you guys need to help me.

Thanks,
Mike

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 delamaize

delamaize
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2009 - 03:11 PM

I hate to be this guy and bump this thread, but I am at witts end.....
thanks again guys......

EDIT: let's try a different forum

Edited by garmanma, 22 November 2009 - 07:22 PM.

#3 slarabee

slarabee

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 22 November 2009 - 08:27 PM

Hi Mike,

The problem you are describing stirkes a chord with me about XP SP3 networking issues.

If I remember correctly it has something to do with Vista networking components that they push/rolled into XP SP3 to force users to assimilate.

Give me about 10 or fifteen minutes and I will have more information for you.

From what I remember though rolling back SP3, if you can, sometimes you cannot (for example if you were preloaded with SP3 as my daughter's Acer mini was) will not solve the issue. However judging by your description of your wife's system being older you should be able to, but do not do that yet.

I will get back to you asap with more info.

Sean

#4 slarabee

slarabee

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2009 - 08:42 PM

Yes I would be willing to bet your issue is WiFi XP SP3 related.

If you do a search in Google for "xp sp3 wifi networking issues" the amount of results are staggering. The amount of resolutions are small.

I WOULD NOT ADVISE JUMPING THE GUN AND TRYING TO REPLACE OR REBUILD THE WINSOCK.

Though that solution has worked for some it has not for others and "Windows Sockets API" is core in windows for networking and should not be manipulated unless it is a tested and proven solution.

see; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winsock

I am still looking for the best start point for you so please bare with me. :thumbsup: Look at the upside it is more than likely not a malware issue. :flowers:

#5 slarabee

slarabee

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2009 - 08:46 PM

It's NAP that causes it ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Security_and_...cess_Protection )

That is the crap they forced down XP users throat with SP3.

Finding your answer but I have only dealt with this a few times as I advise that NO ONE updates to SP3.
Hang in there though we'll find a solution!!!

#6 slarabee

slarabee

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2009 - 08:52 PM

I do not know if this applies to your situation or not but it is one thing to check:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/951447

#7 slarabee

slarabee

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2009 - 08:53 PM

I found this in another forum but cannot attest to it as a solution;

I got the same problem but I could solve it by installing a free wireless client. For example this one: http://nl.softpicks.net/software/Int...t_nl-23225.htm

#8 slarabee

slarabee

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2009 - 09:33 PM

Okay I think I found your solution.

I went through this problem with my daughter's acer mini (as I said) but my ex bought her the laptop and when she heard that I was working on it she freaked (becuase god forbid that a network engineer would try to fix a networking issue!!! But I digress)

The first thing you want to do it get the EXACT model number of your wife's pavillion:

There are many:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechS...&taskId=135

The model number is more than likely on the bottom somewhere.

Then you need to search for updates in the downloads section of the support site.

If they have an wireless driver update(s) click on it and then read what the details are.

There will be a section labeled "Enhancements" a pretty word for fixes.

For example on the HP Pavilion dv1000 CTO Notebook PC

# Enhancements: Includes Intel PRO/Wireless 2200 and Intel PRO/Wireless 2915 Network Connection driver Version 9.0.2.31, which:

* Improves the roaming algorithm.
* Improves data rates in noisy environments.

# Includes Intel PRO/Wireless 2100 3B Mini PCI Adapter driver version 1.2.4.35), which:

* Includes support for Cisco Compatible Extensions 2.0 (software supplicant required).
* Includes support for EAP-FAST.
* Includes 802.11i and WPA2 support.
* Fixes an intermittent issue with the Intel PRO/Wireless 2100 and Suspend/Hibernate operations for the HP Compaq tc1100 Tablet PC.

Now the problem here is that it will probaly not list "Fix for Windows XP SP3 NAP" because HP partners with MS and they need to be careful not to piss off MS or they end up on the short end of the stick OEM contract $$$$ wise.

Regardless though you should check your driver version for your wireless in the device manager>

Right click My Computer> Click> Properties> Click the Hardware Tab> Click the Device Manger button> Click the + sign next to Network Adapters> Right Click the Wireless Adapter> Click Properties> Click the Driver tab. > Write down the Version number.

Then compare that version to the version available on the HP driver downloads site. If the driver at HP is newer follow the instructions and install the new driver.

This may or may not solve the issue. However it is your best first try.

If you need any guidance as you follow these steps do not hesitate to post the model number of you HP pavillion and I will read the verion notes etc... It would be helpful to know your current driver version as well.

It all comes down to Microsoft not only forced NAP down consumers throats, they also forced it down the vendors throats.

I Hope this helps,

Sean

#9 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2009 - 10:54 PM

Anytime I have a wireless connection issue the first thing I do is uninstall everything: my laptop uses a PCMCIA card so I unplug it, uninstall it from Device manager, uninstall the software from Add/Remove programs, reboot, do a few other things and then install it all again following the onscreen directions. I have the software in a folder on the desktop so its fast and easy. 9 times out of 10 it solves my issue and takes less than 15 minutes including rebooting. I would advise anyone to do this if your connection was good and working before.

The other thing I did was stop using the software that installs. I use Windows Zero Config program and it works very well.

Just curious, are you going to celebrate Thanksgiving even tho you are in Germany? lol

I hope you and your family stay safe. Thank you for serving and protecting our freedoms. :flowers: :thumbsup:

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#10 delamaize

delamaize
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2009 - 09:38 AM

thanks guys, I was at witts end, I will try your sugestions and let you guys know what happens.

#11 swagger

swagger

• Members
  • 476 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 AM

Posted 23 November 2009 - 02:53 PM

This thread almost brought tears to my eyes because I experienced the same thing at my last residence. Random disconnects from wireless, speed variations (54Mbps - 1Mbps), and general slowness for almost a year!!! However, anything plugged into the router through an Ethernet cable was fine. The problem was only with the wireless. I spent months working on the issue; I went through 3 Linksys WRT54GL's, a Belkin router, and the D-Link 655. Know what fixed the problem? Moving. We moved to a new house in October, and magically, the problem was gone. I believe it had something to do with interference from a device nearby or it could have been from the amount of routers in the vicinity. At any time, I could find anywhere between 10-15 different routers through NetStumbler or inSSIDer ranging from Channels 1-11 so that could very well have been the case. What I haven't done since the move is test those Linksys routers out to check if they work.

Some initial questions would be is the router close to a microwave, baby monitor or anything that might transmit waves that would cause interfence? Also, have you tried using a program like NetStumbler to see how many routers you can pick up on?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users