Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HDD partition on Ubuntu, for Windows XP install

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rhino1366

rhino1366

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 AM

Posted 19 November 2009 - 12:18 PM

Hi guys,

I've bought a new computer. So, it has an Ubuntu preinstalled...

1. How can I make a new partition through Ubuntu, for NTFS - Windows XP (step-by-step please)?
2. I'm planning to give Ubuntu from 20 to 40 GB of HDD space; for Windows XP about 20 GB, the rest in NTFS for XP's software and archive.
3. Should I have a two Ubuntu partitions for a better data secure?
Edite: 4. How to find out, how is my Ubuntu HDD is partitioned?

Please, only step-by-step professional instructions, that will work as a clock... Thx.

Relying on your help and support,
rhino1366

Edited by rhino1366, 19 November 2009 - 12:27 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 AM

Posted 19 November 2009 - 12:52 PM

Bad news.... you can't install windows with an existing Ubuntu install and keep the current Ubuntu install. You have to install windows first then re-install Ubuntu.

Posted Image

#3 MadDawg

MadDawg

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 AM

Posted 19 November 2009 - 06:44 PM

Bad news.... you can't install windows with an existing Ubuntu install and keep the current Ubuntu install. You have to install windows first then re-install Ubuntu.

Actually you can, but it's sort of a pain. The partitioning is easy, but you would have to edit GRUB (and restore it, since Windows likes to delete the MBR) and add a Windows entry.
A penguin broke my windows with a half-eaten apple!

#4 rhino1366

rhino1366
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 AM

Posted 20 November 2009 - 01:07 AM

MadDawg,

Maybe you, as a multi-OSs user, with including XP - could help me out in a network / networking subforum?

I really need someone's help at the moment...

Thx,
rhino

Edite: I'll ask about partitioning little bit later, cause I need an internet from my new Ubuntu PC at the moment...
Also, is it only Ubuntu 9.04 displays text in comfort size (I have full HD in 23")? I'm using Ubuntu only 2-3 days, and I'm starting to like it very much... no, to love it... :D

Edited by rhino1366, 20 November 2009 - 01:10 AM.

#5 Miljet

Miljet

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2009 - 11:44 PM

rhino, the reason you are not getting answers to your network problem is not because no one wants to help you. It's just that nobody else hooks up their Internet like you are trying to do and therefore have no experience doing it that way. Most people use a router that is connected to the modem and all computers connected to that router, either wired or wireless. It's not that what you to do is impossible, just that no one else has experience doing it. You might have some luck finding help on the Ubuntu forums.

#6 MadDawg

MadDawg

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2009 - 02:25 AM

rhino, the reason you are not getting answers to your network problem is not because no one wants knows how to help you. It's just that nobody else hooks up their Internet like you are trying to do and therefore have no experience doing it that way. Most people use a router that is connected to the modem and all computers connected to that router, either wired or wireless. It's not that what you to do is impossible, just that no one else has experience doing it. You might have some luck finding help on the Ubuntu forums.

Fix'd

Edited by MadDawg, 23 November 2009 - 06:19 PM.

A penguin broke my windows with a half-eaten apple!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users