Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Am I infected

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 MexicanCutie

MexicanCutie

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 19 November 2009 - 11:22 AM

:question:Hi I am having multiple issues with my computer. It runs very slow and I get a ton of pop-ups. When I run AntiVir is says I have infections and I quarantine them, reboot and re-run and I still have same detections. Same with malwarbytes. When I try and log on to my MSN account I get an error saying it is unsafe to continue. Same with alot of sites I regularly visit (my homepage, my space) and I never had those notifications before. Also the browser turns red. My firewall doesn't stay on and the security center keeps telling me it doesn't detect any antivirus but then my AntiVir Desktop says it is activated. In Firwall Advanced settings it says my connection is corrupt and to make a new connection which I did but I still get same error message. I tried to download AVG and I don't know what happened it just dissapeared but that might be operator's error. I'm still a rookie with all this although I have learned alot reading other threads and trying to fix it myself. I found several threads that were very similar to my problem and in following the advice I have ran combofix and hijack this and have those logs if you need them. (i have made NO changes to the system since I ran them this morning) Any help would be appreciated as I don't want to have to reformat. Also could you tell me where all these problems came from so I don't have future problems. Thanks in advance to anyone who will help me.

Edited by rigel, 20 November 2009 - 09:09 PM.
Threads merged to keep all details in the same thread ~ rigel

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MexicanCutie

MexicanCutie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2009 - 03:13 PM

Ok, so it has been 4 hours and I still haven't received any responses, even though I see people who posted way after me getting multiple responses with help instructions. I am to afraid to log on to my email account to check for help replies, so I'm sitting here on the forum waiting. I know your busy, but I too need my computer repaired. I have backed up my data and could reformat if I have to but would like to avoid doing that. Please will someone/anyone help me.

Edited by MexicanCutie, 19 November 2009 - 04:43 PM.

#3 MexicanCutie

MexicanCutie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2009 - 07:17 PM

Ok so I posted an ad yesterday morning at about 6am. That was 18 hours ago, and I have not received any responses for help. I also posted back in the summer and had to contact an administrator before I got any "help" if you could call it that. I got a request for information and then 24 hours later got another. Then nothing!! I had to reformat even though I asked and asked for help and even for help or direction on how to stop getting my computer infected...still nothing. So I eventually reformatted. This week I got another virus and turned to the only place I knew of to get "help" and guess what...nothing. I am a newbie and mistakenly thought you were here to help ALL people. So this is what I'm coming to, I placed another post in another name, almost word for word, and got a response 2 hours and 32 minutes later. I used a man's name. Now I know you guys are volunteers, but to make someone feel like the last person to be picked in a school yard game is just mean. To see your ad getting looked at and then to see other people after you getting help is confusing. I wonder "did I not make my post good enough" , "why don't they want to help me", I folowed all the rules, not bumping, or reposting or changing my system and just sat here and waited....and nothing. Maybe it wasn't that I used a man's name but that it didn't say "Mexican" hmm. may you should all think about that. You guys should be ashamed of yourself!!

p.s. I wonder how long it will take someone to respond to this post. Or maybe even some action...like pulling it.

Edited by MexicanCutie, 20 November 2009 - 07:22 PM.

#4 azfreetech

azfreetech

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2009 - 07:44 PM

Well I can't speak for anyone else but I have a full time day job in tech support and I work on computers as well. I just recently found these forums and try to do what I can to help others in need. I'm not paid to do this and I would assume no one else is either. If you need immediate support then you may want to contact a local computer repair technician and pay for the support.
DJ Digital Gem

I gave up on computers and now I just DJ!

#5 MexicanCutie

MexicanCutie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2009 - 07:52 PM

I know the majority of you all do work and that is why when I initially found this site I did donate. It was only $20.00 but for not having recieved anything yet I though that was pretty good. I based that donation on the "help" I saw you give to the public and was excited to recieve help myself. I would have probably continued to donate had I recieved any service at all. You see I'm recovering from an illness which makes it difficult for me to get out and about. I'm not looking for free and would happily pay to recieve help where I didn't have to pack up my computer and haul it somewhere. I'm not trying to offend those who are legit, just those who are too selective about the help they give. Again, this is just my opinion and my experience here.

#6 azfreetech

azfreetech

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2009 - 08:13 PM

I can definately understand your frustrations. Sometimes it's hard to get to everyone and I don't run or operate this site but I do run a music/DJ based site and I know from an admin stand point that it can sometimes become overwhelming. What is the problem you are having? I'll be happy to see what I can do to help you.
DJ Digital Gem

I gave up on computers and now I just DJ!

#7 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 PM

Posted 20 November 2009 - 09:06 PM

Hi MexicanCutie and welcome to BC

First I am sorry your topic was overlooked. We do our best to answer every topic created, but sometimes topics get shuffled down the listings. This forum is especially busy, so the sheer number of topics tend to push items down the page. I am curious about your donation. Can you tell me who it was made to?

Let's get started in cleaning your computer...

I see from your earlier postings that you ran Malwarebytes. Can you update and rerun Malwarebytes and post the fresh log. We can go from there...

Please follow these instructions:
On the Scanner tab:
  • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
  • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
Back at the main Scanner screen:
  • Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.
Note:
-- If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you may be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process. Regardless if prompted to restart the computer or not, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.

Note 2:
-- MBAM may make changes to your registry as part of its disinfection routine. If you're using other security programs that detect registry changes (like Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere with the fix or alert you after scanning with MBAM. Please disable such programs until disinfection is complete or permit them to allow the changes. To disable these programs, please view this topic: How To Temporarily Disable Your Anti-virus, Firewall And Anti-malware Programs

Post back with your log and I will review it as soon as I can.

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#8 MexicanCutie

MexicanCutie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2009 - 09:13 PM

Thank you for seeing through my tempertantrum. I really appreciate that. My computer ended up not running at all and I had to reformat. I had backed up most data but lost some. But if you could direct me to some good sites or have any good advice as to what I could do to stop getting infected. I am very cautious and I ONLY download from cnet. But I play alot of games (not download) and I'm still doing something wrong. Again thank you for you understanding you seem to be a very nice person. :thumbsup:

#9 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2009 - 09:17 PM

* Start with having an updated/current anti-virus package installed. McAfee, Norton/Symantec, and Sophos are some of the common subscription - paid programs available. Paid products do have their benefits - you should receive phone support if you ever become infected. The level of support can be argued, but still, you should have someone to talk to during those stressful times. Free products are also available - Avast, Comodo, and AVG have products you can install without cost to the user. The programs do a good job of protecting you, but generally come with no support.

If I may offer a few words... I will find you some links

* Install a firewall. There are two types: Hardware and Software. Hardware firewalls are generally found on routers. If you have a wireless router in your home, check the configuration and look for the firewall setting. Software firewalls are programs that run on your computer. The Comodo suite also contains a firewall that can be enabled during install. Zone Alarm is another firewall option. Both of these firewalls are free to home users.

* Consider the use of a HOSTS file. A HOSTS file checks the IP addresses of web sites your computer tries to access. Let's say you open the Yahoo homepage. Normally, you will see ads on that page pointing you to different websites. If those sites are listed in the HOSTS file on your computer, a sign that says "Cannot display the page" will display. Please review this page for a more detailed explanation of HOSTS files.

* Scan regularly (weekly) with a good Anti-Spyware scanner like Malwarebytes, or SuperAntiSpyware. As soon as you notice a problem, fix it. Don't wait for the infection to get worse.

* Keep Microsoft Windows, Microsoft Office, and other software updated. Other software includes: Adobe products, Quicktime, and Java. This is very important. The malware writers pay attention to easy targets, and computers that do not have these updates are easy to compromise.

* Most importantly USE COMMON SENSE. If you see a link that looks suspicious, don't click it. If you visit a crackz, hackz, or P2P sites looking to steal software... well you get what you deserve. The worst infections can be found on these sites.

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#10 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2009 - 09:20 PM

Well that didn't copy like I wished. Here is the same info on my K12 site

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users