Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is proactive comodo an antivirus?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Ket

Ket

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 AM

Posted 19 November 2009 - 10:03 AM

I have been using comodo (free version) for the last couple of weeks. I still cannot figure out what is the difference between the proactive configuration and the antivirus. Is the defence+ a kind of antivirus? I run Avira Antivir personal as well. Is that ok or they could conflict? Would it be ok if I set it just to the firewall configuration in order to avoid it asking me each and every time? I know it is looking after my computer's security but do I really need it when I already have an antivirus program? Is defence+ the same with the proactive config.?
(I have windows 7 ultimate x32 and I do often manual scans with Malwarebytes and superantispyware.)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JamesFrance

JamesFrance

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 AM

Posted 20 November 2009 - 06:12 AM

If you use the Proactive configuration you will be tightening the operation of Defense+ which will give you greater security at the expense of more pop-ups. If you look in the Monitor Settings section you will find all the activities checked when you use Proactive. Defense+ is a HIPS which will alert on unknown activities before they can install on your computer.

It is not recommended to use 2 avs as they can cause conflicts, so I would suggest you remove one of them.

Antivir has probably the greater detection capabilities now, but the Comodo av interacts with Defense+ so that alerts from it are minimised. Your choice.

There is an antivirus which works outside your computer which seems to work well alongside Comodo antivirus without causing any problems, but it is fairly new and is called Immunet Protect. It is also a free program.
James

#3 Ket

Ket
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2009 - 08:32 AM

Thanx for your respond. So, to make it clear, when I am using the proactive configuration is the comodo antivirus also activated?

#4 JamesFrance

JamesFrance

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2009 - 09:47 AM

Thanx for your respond. So, to make it clear, when I am using the proactive configuration is the comodo antivirus also activated?

Proactive configuration is just a stronger version of the Internet Security configuration, I would think you have the antivirus operating but it depends whether you chose to install it originally. If you open the GUI and look at the Summary it will show the current position.

If you want to change it go to Start>All programs>Comodo>Comodo Internet security and choose Uninstall or Upgrade. You can then install or uninstall either the antivirus or the firewall.
James

#5 Ket

Ket
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2009 - 10:44 AM

Proactive configuration is just a stronger version of the Internet Security configuration, I would think you have the antivirus operating but it depends whether you chose to install it originally. If you open the GUI and look at the Summary it will show the current position.

I did not install the antivirus (100% sure) but for some reason it seems I can still enable it. I already did the uninstall/re-install thing. At the summary it says that All systems are active and running. That is while in Proactive security. I can't find anywhere mentioned the status of the antivirus. I have looked all over. Are you sure the antivirus is not included in the proactive configuration?

Edited by Ket, 20 November 2009 - 10:46 AM.

#6 JamesFrance

JamesFrance

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2009 - 11:12 AM

That seems strange but I can't check it as I have the antivirus installed and working.

Can you carry out a scan? If so you definitely have the av. Proactive as far as I know just alters Defense+ settings as I said. Downloading the installer gives the options, but as far as I know the antivirus will only be installed if you have it ticked during installation.

As I am out of ideas, maybe you could ask in the Comodo forum here:
http://forums.comodo.com/anti_virus_help-b134.0/
James

#7 Ket

Ket
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2009 - 11:30 AM

Can you carry out a scan? If so you definitely have the av. Proactive as far as I know just alters Defense+ settings as I said. Downloading the installer gives the options, but as far as I know the antivirus will only be installed if you have it ticked during installation.

I don't see anywhere an option for scanning. Where would that be? I don't see it even when I activate the antivirus configuration.

#8 JamesFrance

JamesFrance

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2009 - 12:17 PM

Open the program and look at the summary screen.

Do you see an antivirus section there and if so you can click on 'Run Virus Scanner'?

Along the top I have a choice for Antivirus. If you go there you can click to update the database.

In the Miscellaneous section click About and you can see the av database version, just now it is 2983.

If you cannot find any of the above you do not have the antivirus installed.
James

#9 Ket

Ket
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2009 - 02:44 PM

None of these things are there. So I guess that was it. Thank you very much for your help. I can keep the proactive configuration with my Avira without conflicts.

#10 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 AM

Posted 20 November 2009 - 03:26 PM

You don't have the AV installed. What you have is an option to add the AV at a later date, if you so wish, to your present install without having to unistall your present version and set up of Comodo. If I remember correctly you can click on it and it will install the AV part and then you need to go online for the definitions to be updated.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users