Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

pc shuts off randomly while gaming

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 supaone

supaone

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 AM

Posted 19 November 2009 - 09:55 AM

hello people ,
i got this awkward problem with my pc , ill give you the specs first
amd athlon x2 4400+ , asus m2npv-vm motherboard , nvidia 9600gt 512mb , 550watt psu , 2gb ram . running windows xp pro sp3
okay , so my pc seems to run fine in windows itself , even in hard applications , but sometimes when im in games (any game really> grid , team fortress 2, left 4 dead 2) it just shuts off after 15 mins as if the power supply was disconnected . mind you at other times i can run the same game for hours withouth any problems .
any ideas ?

thanks

Edited by supaone, 19 November 2009 - 09:59 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Funnel Web_*

Guest_Funnel Web_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 19 November 2009 - 10:05 AM

Could be an overheating problem with your psu.

What You Could Do is To Give This A try

in Windows under the My Computer/properties page click the advanced tab and then click the startup and recovery settings button. Under system failure uncheck automatically restart. This will cause an exception error report and memory dump rather than a reboot but it will tell you if it's software/driver related or not.

Also You Could Try This, Go Into Bios
in section "PC Health" you will find option for temperature warning. this makes your pc shuts down instead of giving you a warning. Raise the warning temp or Disable this option.

Edited by Funnel Web, 19 November 2009 - 10:08 AM.

#3 supaone

supaone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2009 - 10:07 AM

well tbh a psu overheat seems reasonable as i opened my case to feel anything hot in particular the psu did feel very warm
would that be normal or ?

#4 supaone

supaone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2009 - 11:22 AM

okay so i unticked the automatic reboot function and the problem still occurs
what does that tell me ? :s

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,113 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2009 - 11:32 AM

It may be telling you that overheating is the situation, since overheating of a system...generates no error message of any sort, at any time.

If your system continues to reboot and displays no BSOD/error message...that would be my guess (but I'm certainly no expert).

Louis

#6 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,237 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 AM

Posted 19 November 2009 - 04:58 PM

I would bet overheating of the video processor or the system CPU itself (or both)

Hamluis is right - if either of those overheat, you may not get any kind of message, no BSOD, etc. Let it sit for a while and you will be running again - for a while. My BIOS has a setting that if my CPU gets about X degrees, it just shuts down (hopefully). Hopefully it will shut itself off before it cooks itself.

You can download some free software to monitor temperatures of such things, see what the max temp is for your video and CPU and keep an eye on it while you are gaming. It will most likely go up and you can watch it.

I have no recommendations or personal favorites. Speedfan is one, but there are others that are probably more exciting:

http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

I have seen where especially gaming will run up these temps and you can sometimes just upgrade your cooling fans to get more airflow or even go liquid cooled (Prestone :thumbsup: ?). Systems can be designed and modified with gaming in mind. Maybe your system was designed with general purpose in mind if it works okay until the games begin.

Games can be intense and demanding of resources these days.

Edited by joseibarra, 19 November 2009 - 05:14 PM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#7 supaone

supaone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 AM

Posted 20 November 2009 - 06:30 AM

well it has ran games for about 2 years till the error started happening , and it was put toghether just for games back then , altho some of my setup is a bit out of date now , also , i use everest to monitor temperatures and it doesnt seem to give any really high values. highest ive seen is about 50 (celcius) on the graphix processor

Edited by supaone, 20 November 2009 - 07:15 AM.

#8 nachofoot

nachofoot

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2009 - 10:09 PM

Dust generates heat. Blow out the whole computer especially heatsinks.

I've had this problem before, researched it, and fixed it. Before your processor even gets to the temperature to melt, the electrical impulses will stop firing and the system will reboot. My system made a loud noise when doing so as well. Since games hog the most resources, playing them also generates the most heat.

#9 yesyep

yesyep

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 AM

Posted 21 November 2009 - 01:12 PM

hello people ,
i got this awkward problem with my pc , ill give you the specs first
amd athlon x2 4400+ , asus m2npv-vm motherboard , nvidia 9600gt 512mb , 550watt psu , 2gb ram . running windows xp pro sp3
okay , so my pc seems to run fine in windows itself , even in hard applications , but sometimes when im in games (any game really> grid , team fortress 2, left 4 dead 2) it just shuts off after 15 mins as if the power supply was disconnected . mind you at other times i can run the same game for hours withouth any problems .
any ideas ?

thanks

Sorry but could it be that your partner or parents put a kind of game lock on it.
Works OK for Game addicts that have to spent some time being social with their partner or others. ;)
Sometimes you have a free time and sometimes yes about max 15 minutes hihi.

Is somewhat off topic but fun must be ;)

Memory that's to hot or corrupt could do this to just replaced some here and no more reboots. ( should have give errors in log or blue screens but no)
Have a few problem pc's here from some people , the gamer one i tried to test/keep as long as possible better for his girlfriend she promised to give me a kiss for that ;)

Edited by yesyep, 21 November 2009 - 01:15 PM.

#10 supaone

supaone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 AM

Posted 23 November 2009 - 08:29 PM

uh no theres no lock on it its my own computer

#11 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2009 - 10:51 PM

Getting back to the subject; it does sound like a over heating problem. Try some of these. Make sure the inside of your tower is clean. No critter hair, fan blades are clean,ect. Leave the side of you case off and put a big fan blowing into your case, watch EVEREST and see how long you can play. If things play longer and better you know its a over heating problem. Now what is over heating?? Power supply would be my number one choice. You can buy a small fan that you can mount where you want to and to blow where you want to, about $20.00 at Best Buy or other places. I also use a Infrared red dot thermometer to check temps of fan blades, heat sinks on every thing,ram which never gets hot. It can help you find the hot spot. Right now the side of my P.S. is 22.9 c and the out blowing fan center of the P.S. is 29.6. This will help on figuring what is getting hot. Any program that I have used will all indicate different but the little red dot don't know how to lie. I use this system to see if things I do to the air cooling in my system helps or hurts. I added a small video card cooler and lowered my card temps 10 deg. c for about $20.00. I know this sounds to simple and it will take a little time but it works for me.

Edited by Layback Bear, 24 November 2009 - 10:53 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users