Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot open Outlook email

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mugsy116

mugsy116

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 19 November 2009 - 12:03 AM

I can open emails in Outlook 2003 under my user name. However, when my wife logs in under her name she can no longer gain access to her mail server. Here is the error message

Unable to open your default email folders. File access is denied. You do not have the permission required to access the file.

C:/Users/Mugsy/AppData/Local/Microsoft/Outlook/Outlook.pst

I am the user Mugsy and the archive.pst and outlook.pst files are in the Mugsy account. There are no issues with that user. However, under my wifes user name there are no .pst files in Outlook. This is a very recent issue. All windows updates are current. Anti virus(norton) and spy bot were all updated earlier this evening.

Don't know where to start here, any direction would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Funnel Web_*

Guest_Funnel Web_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 19 November 2009 - 07:44 AM

Hi Mugsy,

Hope this will help you on your matter.

Your Windows Mail does not have all of its defaults assigned.
Go to Default Programs, which you can access either from the Start
menu or via the Control Panel, then click the first item: "Set your default
programs."
After a few seconds, a list of programs comes up. Click on Windows Mail.
If it doesn't respond with "This program has all its defaults" then fix it by
clicking on the option indicated by the first green arrow

#3 mugsy116

mugsy116
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2009 - 11:36 PM

Thanks very much for your reply. Following your directions I can successfully convert to Windows Mail, however that is not the mail carrier that I have been using.
I was using Outlook with no previous issues, until I posted my recent problem.
I tried setting the defaults with Outlook, but I continue to receive the same error message.

#4 mugsy116

mugsy116
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 21 November 2009 - 12:04 AM

I found a solution.
Went to control panel>mail>show profiles>removed the profile listed>added %username%
I am now able to get into outlook and receive emails. still testing to see if I can send, but that issue is resolvable now that I can get into Outlook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users