Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What is TpScrex.exe?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jackpine

Jackpine

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 PM

Posted 18 November 2009 - 11:43 PM

While looking through the list of C:/Program Files (Windows XP Home edition), I noticed a folder called TpScrex. Inside is an executible file called TpScrex.exe. I have no idea what this is, what it does, or how it was installed. All that I found serching the web is that it's related to IBM Think Pad. My computer is not an IBM, it is home built.

I would greatly appreciate more information on this mystery, and if it is OK to remove it.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Guest_Funnel Web_*

Guest_Funnel Web_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 19 November 2009 - 07:23 AM

tpscrex.exe is a process installed alongside the IBM Thinkpad's device drivers and offers diagnostics and configuration for the UltraZoom range of products. "This program is a non-essential process, but should not be terminated unless suspected to be causing problems.

Author:

IBM

Part of:

IBM Thinkpad

Common Path(s):

%programfiles%\ThinkPad\PkgMgr\HOTKEY_1\TpScrex.exe

Edited by Funnel Web, 19 November 2009 - 07:25 AM.

#3 Jackpine

Jackpine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2009 - 07:57 AM

Thanks for the reply, but I am no further ahead. As I indicated in my original post, I already had found out this information on IBM's ThinkPad. I know I did not install anything to do with ThinkPad, and still have no idea how it got on my machine. As far as I can tell, I don't use ThinkPad. Was it possibly installed as part of another installation?

I would like to uninstall it, but I want to first make sure that it is OK to do so, i.e., nothing else essential gets disabled. Hopefully someone will provide some more detailed info on this.

Edited by Jackpine, 19 November 2009 - 07:58 AM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,466 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 PM

Posted 19 November 2009 - 08:23 AM

Nothing that appears in Add/Remove Programs...can ever be termed "essential" to functioning of XP...not even MS.NET.

The option to uninstall exists because these items may be uninstalled at the whim of the user.

That said, read the info (ignore the ads/solicitations) at http://www.prevx.com/filenames/20925059228...PSCREX.EXE.html.

Louis

#5 Jackpine

Jackpine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 PM

Posted 19 November 2009 - 10:17 AM

By "essential" I meant to refer to programs or functions that I want to have installed and working, and therefore deem as being essential for me.

In any event, thanks for the info from the link. I am going to remove this program, and will report back on any adverse effects.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users