Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

can't install service pack 3

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 angeldust

angeldust

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 PM

Posted 18 November 2009 - 08:17 PM

hi. i recently had to do a windows reinstall after having too many problems. i downloaded the necessary files for my computer except for 4 files. i tried to download service pack 3, but when i try to run it it says it's not a valid win32 application. i also can't download updates on malwarebytes and other protection. it says i need to turn off my firewall which i do and it still won't let me. any help will be appreciated. thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Funnel Web_*

Guest_Funnel Web_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 19 November 2009 - 07:37 AM

do you reckon that your missing soething in the 4 files that you did not download??

try downloading service pack 3 again,as you said you tried downloading it, then you try running it to load but it came up with the not a valid win 32 application?? you probably never got the full download of service pack 3, so i would download it again and try it once more.

Go Here For Your Download Of SP3

But as for your updates on malwarebytes, i would uninstall the program and reinstall it again to see if that makes a differance

#3 angeldust

angeldust
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2009 - 05:55 PM

the files i couldn't download was image converter, conexant hd audio datafax modem, sony vaio media integrated server setup, and the last one i'm not sure. i'm having so many more problems with the reinstall than i did without it. for instance my modem keeps disconnecting, i can't update my protection such as antivirus and it won't let me download any protection. i tried your link but it didn't work.

Edited by angeldust, 19 November 2009 - 05:58 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,902 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2009 - 06:17 PM

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

#5 angeldust

angeldust
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 PM

Posted 19 November 2009 - 06:25 PM

it's a sony vaio VGN-TX750P 2006 version.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,902 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2009 - 06:37 PM

Reference Only: http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/model-doc...?mdl=VGNTX750PB

<<i downloaded the necessary files for my computer except for 4 files.>>

To reinstall Windows, you need an install disk for Windows. Do you have one?

<< i recently had to do a windows reinstall after having too many problems.>>

Malware problems? A clean install of Windows?

Reinstalling windows on top of itself (a repair install) is not the answer to many situations....some of those require a clean install of Windows.

What Windows version is installed?

Louis

#7 angeldust

angeldust
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2009 - 06:44 PM

Reference Only: http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/model-doc...?mdl=VGNTX750PB

<<i downloaded the necessary files for my computer except for 4 files.>>

To reinstall Windows, you need an install disk for Windows. Do you have one?

<< i recently had to do a windows reinstall after having too many problems.>>

Malware problems? A clean install of Windows?

Reinstalling windows on top of itself (a repair install) is not the answer to many situations....some of those require a clean install of Windows.

What Windows version is installed?

Louis

i don't have a windows intstall disk. my moms coworker was the one who did it for me.
i was having malware, virus problems and someone on another forum thought i might have had a corrupted windows os problem so my moms coworker put in a clean install of windows xp pro version 2002 sp 2

Edited by angeldust, 19 November 2009 - 06:45 PM.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,902 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2009 - 08:23 PM

If someone else...performed a clean install of XP Pro...what does all that verbiage about "downloaded the necessary files for my computer except for 4 files. i tried to download service pack 3," mean?

A clean install with a XP Pro install disk...should only have been augmented by installation of drivers for that system. Once the proper drivers were installed, installation of any pertinent XP Pro updates should have been accomplished at Windows Update.

Have you been to the Windows Update site?

Were you able to obtain updates?

If not, what was the exact message received?

Louis

#9 angeldust

angeldust
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2009 - 04:03 PM

If someone else...performed a clean install of XP Pro...what does all that verbiage about "downloaded the necessary files for my computer except for 4 files. i tried to download service pack 3," mean?

A clean install with a XP Pro install disk...should only have been augmented by installation of drivers for that system. Once the proper drivers were installed, installation of any pertinent XP Pro updates should have been accomplished at Windows Update.

Have you been to the Windows Update site?

Were you able to obtain updates?

If not, what was the exact message received?

Louis

he dowloaded windows xp pro and a antivirus and he basically left me to do the rest which was go to my computer website to dowload the files for my system. i go to the windows update site and the only service pack 3 they have is the one for IT professionals so i dowload it and when i try to run it it says that it's not a valid win32 application. i even disabled all my protection and firewall and it didn't work.i downloaded again but i haven't tried it. before i did the windows reinstall i was able to dowload service pack 3 with no problems but then when i turned off my computer one day and it asks you if you want to update your computer when you turn it off, i clicked on that option and the next day i got a normaliz.dll error message and nothing would boot up so that's why i got my mom's co-worker to do a clean reinstall since my computer didn't come with any cd's for that.

Edited by angeldust, 20 November 2009 - 04:05 PM.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,902 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2009 - 04:21 PM

OK...correct me if I misinterpret any of this.

You/he downloaded/installed an illegal copy XP Pro, SP2. Do you realize that every time that someone downloads/installs such...that he/she has no idea whether that package contains malware of every sort, making the system vulnerable to any number of scenarios which I don't recommend for anyone?

<<...and when i try to run it it says that it's not a valid win32 application.>>

BTW...I noticed you completely sidestepped my question about Windows Update...the network install package for SP3 doesn't originate there. The message that I get is that your system won't pass WGA and you cannot get updates via WUS.

The message that you quote above happens fairly often...but it normally occurs when an installed program is attempting to run, after it has been installed. SP3 doesn't work that way, so I have no clue why you would get said message during an install effort.

Louis

#11 angeldust

angeldust
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2009 - 04:29 PM

OK...correct me if I misinterpret any of this.

You/he downloaded/installed an illegal copy XP Pro, SP2. Do you realize that every time that someone downloads/installs such...that he/she has no idea whether that package contains malware of every sort, making the system vulnerable to any number of scenarios which I don't recommend for anyone?

<<...and when i try to run it it says that it's not a valid win32 application.>>

BTW...I noticed you completely sidestepped my question about Windows Update...the network install package for SP3 doesn't originate there. The message that I get is that your system won't pass WGA and you cannot get updates via WUS.

The message that you quote above happens fairly often...but it normally occurs when an installed program is attempting to run, after it has been installed. SP3 doesn't work that way, so I have no clue why you would get said message during an install effort.

Louis

how can you tell if it's a legit copy? he's an engineer so i would think he wouldn't need an illegal copy. i have no idea what you mean about the windows update. i looked up windows sp 3 and went to the microsoft website to download it. i don't know why but yesterday i got a windows notification thing that checks to see if your windows is legit and it says it was.it literally popped up when i was working on something on my desktop. this came after i tried to run service pack 3, so maybe that's why i was having problems before. i'm at school at the moment and don't have the computer with me. do you think i should try to run service pack 3 one more time? do i have to turn off all my protection again?

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,902 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2009 - 05:28 PM

Well...there are few legal means to download a copy of any Windows O/S.

If Microsoft wanted to make downloads available to the general public...I would think that would have been done long ago and such downloads would come directly from the Microsoft website.

I'm somewhat not on top of everything in ComputerLand...but anytime I hear or see that someone has downloaded a copy of XP, I think "illegal" and "malware". I could be wrong.

In any case...yes, I would try to install SP3 again.

As for turning off protection...I've seen instructions from MS that state that. Myself, I never turn off my firewall or my AV...and I've never had a problem installing/reinstalling any O/S, any updates, any SPs, any programs...on any system I had at that time.

Louis

#13 angeldust

angeldust
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2009 - 09:29 PM

hi, i was able to download service pack 3 but i'm still having problems. i downloaded malwarebytes and it didn't let me update. it gave me some error code. i've been trying to fix my computer for the last month so i knew it was too good to be true that i could fix some problems :thumbsup: i also get a message when i try to update superantispyware, it says my firewall is blocking the update but when i disable it i get the same message. i think my computer is still infected with something before i did the reinstall. any suggestions?

#14 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2009 - 10:28 PM

To start with I don't assume this is a pirated copy of window. It is a sony. All oems have a legal license to use the os installed on them at the factory at the time of purchase. No matter how much microsoft might despair, that cannot be abrogated by anything the user does.

The recovery cd for your computer can be ordered for about 18.00 and shipping.

https://servicesales.sel.sony.com/ecom/acce...hText=VGNTX750P

The above link may or may not work. If not, go to sony support site and look up your model drivers page.
http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu-list....X750P&LOC=3

On the right hand side of the page should be a link labeled "recovery cd's?"

After a reload of your OS to factory out of box, you will need to go to the windows update site and download updates.

You do not have to download those labeled "optional hardware updates" in windows update. They have been known to disable hardware by loading updates for similar hardware.

If you plan to do a recovery from Sony cd/dvd, download all the updates from the sony driver page for your model and burn them to cd before you start the factory recover process.

Your moms co worker perhaps meant well but it is damn near criminal to put a retail copy of xp on as proprietary a computer as everything sony makes.

For all we know it could have been fully legal and only installed on that pc, but it still was misguided. Leaving the user to also install drivers and SP3 with no clues is almost as bad.

Does this sound reasonable and doable to you?

Edited by Ken-in-West-Seattle, 21 November 2009 - 10:31 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users