Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Been wanting to build a computer for awhile now.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 NickS606

NickS606

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 18 November 2009 - 07:44 PM

I have no idea what to do so I am excited. Anyway, I am building it for gaming and I'm not sure what kind of budget I would need. I recently bought Left 4 Dead 2 so I will be playing that mostly, here are the system requirements for that game.

* CPU: 3.0 GHz P4, Dual Core 2.0 or AMD64X2 (or higher)
* RAM: 1 GB for XP / 2GB for Vista
* Disc drive: DVD-ROM Drive
* Hard drive: At least 7.5 GB of free space
* Video: Direct X 9 compatible video card (Video card must be 256 MB or more and should be a DirectX 9-compatible with support for pixel shader 2.0)
* Sound: Direct X9.0c compatible sound card

I also obviously use internet so will I need to buy some sort of wireless card?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RainbowSix

RainbowSix

• Members
  • 604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 AM

Posted 18 November 2009 - 09:29 PM

You didn't list your budget. Assuming you have a $1000 budget, this is my recommended build.

Case: Antec Nine Hundred
PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W
MB: ASUS M4A79XTD
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955
RAM: G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3
Video: Radeon HD 5770
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black WD7501AALS 750GB
Optical: LITE-ON 24x
Wifi: GIGABYTE GN-WP01GS
better antenna: Link Depot WF-ATN-OM-DA

This comes out to about $1000, not including rebates or shipping costs.

Edited by RainbowSix, 18 November 2009 - 09:38 PM.

[ Antec 1200 v3 | Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 rev. 3.1 | AMD Phenom II x6 1090T (overclocked to 4GHz) | Corsair XMS3 4x4GB DDR3 1600 | COOLER MASTER Silent Pro 600W & Visiontek Juice Box 450W | SAMSUNG 470 Series 64GB SSD | WD Caviar Black 640GB & Samsung Spinpoint 2TB HDD | 2x XFX Radeon HD 5770 in Crossfire | SAMSUNG 22X DVD±RW | Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit]

CompTIA A+ certified
Stringfellow Electronics

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2009 - 10:03 PM

That's a good build, you don't really need a wireless card if you have a high speed connection and your PC is located next to the modem or router. Alternatively, you can get a cheaper motherboard that will do the same thing, like the ASRock M3A770DE AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard.

Edited by DJBPace07, 18 November 2009 - 10:03 PM.

3939.png

#4 NickS606

NickS606
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 18 November 2009 - 10:49 PM

Yeah it's not really close to the router or modem so I definitely need a wireless card. So how well do you think this build would run Left 4 Dead 2? Also what else is "mandatory" for building a computer? I have heard things about thermal paste. Are there other things I will be required to have?

Edited by NickS606, 18 November 2009 - 11:32 PM.

#5 RainbowSix

RainbowSix

• Members
  • 604 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2009 - 07:12 AM

Don't get thermal paste if you're using the stock HSF. It has TIM pre-applied.
[ Antec 1200 v3 | Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 rev. 3.1 | AMD Phenom II x6 1090T (overclocked to 4GHz) | Corsair XMS3 4x4GB DDR3 1600 | COOLER MASTER Silent Pro 600W & Visiontek Juice Box 450W | SAMSUNG 470 Series 64GB SSD | WD Caviar Black 640GB & Samsung Spinpoint 2TB HDD | 2x XFX Radeon HD 5770 in Crossfire | SAMSUNG 22X DVD±RW | Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit]

CompTIA A+ certified
Stringfellow Electronics

#6 IrishGrimReaper

IrishGrimReaper

• Members
  • 218 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 AM

Posted 19 November 2009 - 12:53 PM

Can't go wrong with the standard PIIx4 build.

But you certainly can go wrong with that horrendous case. I've used it personally first case I bought! I read a review one time that in a good way said "it's a midi tower that wants to be a full tower". Honestly this is true in the wrong way, it costs the price you could get a full tower for, it's heavy and frankly not worth the money. The Antec 300 does the same job only it's cheaper. And looks nicer imo.

If you're willing to spend $100 on that Antec crap, do yourself a favour. Get a Lian Li case, who are awesome.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....amp;Order=PRICE

Take your pick.
|~|i7 920-D0@3.9Ghz|~|Noctua NH-U12P|~|P6T Deluxe V2|~|OcZ 3x2GB DDR3 1600Mhz|~|PNY GTX 275 898MB|~|Enermax Rev85+ 850 Watt|~|Xonar Dx 7.1|~|Lian Li P80|~|Samsung T220|~|G9|~|G11|~|Intel SSD X25M:G2-80GB|~|Windows 7 Home Premium 64|~|SteelSeries Siberia White|~|

#7 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2009 - 04:05 PM

The Antec Nine Hundered is one of the most highly reviewed cases at Newegg and has a five egg rating, so it certainly isn't bad. It's more of a premium case that is made of steel. When looking for cases, generally the aluminum cases are the best with steel a close second. Also, cases with windows or extra fans on the side will be louder. The LIAN LI PC-7B plus II Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case is a good, but plain, case. Shipping will be expensive with most cases since they are heavy, so add another $20 to $30 onto the price, assuming there isn't a free shipping deal on, to get the actual price. The COOLER MASTER Storm Scout SGC-2000-KKN1-GP Black Steel is also a good case at the same price that has free shipping. When building a PC, you need a motherboard, case, CPU, RAM, hard drives, optical drives, a graphics card, and an operating system. You don't really need to purchase thermal paste since stock coolers, and most aftermarket coolers, come with it in the box or pre-applied.

3939.png

#8 IrishGrimReaper

IrishGrimReaper

• Members
  • 218 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 AM

Posted 19 November 2009 - 05:51 PM

The Antec Nine Hundered is one of the most highly reviewed cases at Newegg and has a five egg rating, so it certainly isn't bad. It's more of a premium case that is made of steel. When looking for cases, generally the aluminum cases are the best with steel a close second. Also, cases with windows or extra fans on the side will be louder. The LIAN LI PC-7B plus II Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case is a good, but plain, case. Shipping will be expensive with most cases since they are heavy, so add another $20 to $30 onto the price, assuming there isn't a free shipping deal on, to get the actual price. The COOLER MASTER Storm Scout SGC-2000-KKN1-GP Black Steel is also a good case at the same price that has free shipping. When building a PC, you need a motherboard, case, CPU, RAM, hard drives, optical drives, a graphics card, and an operating system. You don't really need to purchase thermal paste since stock coolers, and most aftermarket coolers, come with it in the box or pre-applied.

First, I actually like that Storm Scout. Good choice.

About the Antec 900, the reason I bought it was "cause it looked cool" and honestly when I gave my review I gave it 5 stars, which was silly as I didn't really know what to review a case on since I had no comparison. I'm very surprised that it has such high rating cause in my opinion it's really overrated, I'm not sure if you used one of not, but I see you current case is the TJ10, I was actually very close to getting one of them instead of my Lian Li P80, my good friend from Finland got that TJ10 the nvidia marked one.

Really mine was his seemed very similar to me and the only reason I went Lian Li was cause I found it in Ireland first. The reason I got a new case though was due to the restraints of the Antec 900 for the gear I had in it, putting even a 4870 was such a tight squeeze, the inside fan that is placed in the 900 had to be removed. Even then it was still tight. I have a pic I'd like to show.(hope I still have the pic)

Well, I know it's going to unfair in the fact the Lian Li P80 is huge compared to the Antec 900. But the parts in this aren't special and they are what people would generally buy size wise.
Posted Image
Left click and click view at full size.

I know the cable management is a mess, but I gave that case to my brother and I tidied up the cables as much as I could. Honestly for the price you pay for the 900, there is what it really looks like with the parts in it. Now look at this Antec 300. Which is considerable cheaper.
Posted Image

Now cable management is better there. But it still shows that they're basically the same size. That's why I advise a 300 over the 900.

In my case though, and I'm glad I did! I got a new Full Tower case. And I'm so glad I did, it's really a pleasure to work with a case with so much space. Everything was such a good change from the 900. So from personal experience, I will say the 900 is overrated and not worth it.

For the lulz, here is what my rig looks like now. I have modded my case though. And I must say, the quality of the building put into it is excellent!
Posted Image
Posted Image

So my final words on the Antec 900, and not those on a biased vendetta or anything. My first hand experience with it, it's overrated and not worth it when you have the 300 out there.
|~|i7 920-D0@3.9Ghz|~|Noctua NH-U12P|~|P6T Deluxe V2|~|OcZ 3x2GB DDR3 1600Mhz|~|PNY GTX 275 898MB|~|Enermax Rev85+ 850 Watt|~|Xonar Dx 7.1|~|Lian Li P80|~|Samsung T220|~|G9|~|G11|~|Intel SSD X25M:G2-80GB|~|Windows 7 Home Premium 64|~|SteelSeries Siberia White|~|

#9 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2009 - 04:15 PM

Any of the cases mentioned here are good, some better than others. If you are wanting to upgrade your new PC in the future to take advantage of larger graphics cards and equipment, you may want to consder a full ATX tower. They are massive, but have plenty of room to install components and keep cables out of the way. I own a Silverstone Temjin TJ10 (mine is black) and will probably continue to use it for a long time.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users