Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

NEED HELP CONNECTING NEW COMPUTER (and other)

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 rhino1366

rhino1366

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 AM

Posted 18 November 2009 - 06:29 PM

Hi guys,

I need someone's help setting up a home network...

New computer, with Ubuntu (August updates) can't see the main one, with Windows XP. How to connect them? Please, help.

I also need a step-by-step instructions on how to partition my new computer's HDD with Ubuntu. I'm planning to install there a Windows XP as well.

So, I'll be online / checking in periodically to see what'll come up. Thank you so much...

Relying on your support,
rhino1366

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rhino1366

rhino1366
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2009 - 06:58 PM

Two computer are connected by a cable, but none of them sees someone else / each other.

Also, why I can't play *.mp3 files on my new Ubuntu system? *.jpg are okay to view. It says, that some plugins must be installed before. I need to test out the sound subsystem. Maybe, I should download some Ubuntu images and sound pack to view everything? Is it possible to perform such through XP, then install on Ubuntu?

Thx guys, really relying on your help!

P.S. New shiny machine stands by at this moment... so, if you're reading this - please, help if you can.

#3 rhino1366

rhino1366
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2009 - 07:48 PM

New Ubuntu computer is still without internet connection...

Please, tell me how to connect it with a host Windows XP computer, that has an internet...

#4 rhino1366

rhino1366
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2009 - 07:59 PM

While there's no one to ask and hear an answer at this moment (about networking; partitioning), tell me, how to download ubuntu-restricted-extras through Windows XP, and if it's possible.

Thx,
rhino

#5 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 AM

Posted 18 November 2009 - 08:24 PM

If you are talking about hooking to Pcs directly together without a hub or switch then you need a cross over cable. If you are talking about hooking them up to a router/switch then this site should help.

All the other questions you are asking are not network related. So you should ask those questions here.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#6 rhino1366

rhino1366
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2009 - 08:55 PM

Thanks so much for your reply, CaveDweller2.

There's no router between this specific connection... only cable point 1 to point 2.

The strange thing, is that nor Ubuntu 9.04 or Windows XP didn't acted / signaled anyhow, when the phisical connection was made. :thumbsup:

But, is it possible to connect an Ubuntu PC to a Windows XP PC, and believe in any connection between them?

On how to configure this home network and acquiring a positive result - I'm waiting in your next replies.

Hope, you'll help me,
rhino

Edite: Cable in new (Ubuntu) computer is connected in a LAN access slot (on motherboard), and the other side leads to other room, where's a main computer (host, that has a connection with internet) to a cable modem's LAN slot... no signals yet. Not sure, if it's a cable. Usually, I think, Windows XP must report about a new connection...

Waiting on tips and suggestions. Need to get it done, shortly. Thx...

Edited by rhino1366, 18 November 2009 - 10:17 PM.

#7 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2009 - 12:32 AM

If you are talking about hooking to Pcs directly together without a hub or switch then you need a cross over cable.

You need a cross over cable. You have to buy one OR you could buy a switch and use straight through Ethernet cable. Plug one into PC to the switch then onr from the switch to the other PC.

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#8 rhino1366

rhino1366
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2009 - 12:03 PM

We have did that before... I'm talking about a crossover cable. And, I had an internet connection on my laptop (before). Now, I wasn't using an internet from my room (where I've had an internet connection from laptop) for some time. And now, I've returned to this, buught a new PC, and a cable still remains...

Maybe, the problem, is that the cable on my side is connected into my mobo's LAN, and the other side is in the main computer's external USB cable modem's LAN port? :thumbsup:

If that's the problem - please, let me know quickly / ASAP. Thx...

Still no internet,
rhino1366

#9 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2009 - 12:19 PM

This page will explain it to you in detail.

#10 rhino1366

rhino1366
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2009 - 12:54 AM

Big thanks for the page, CaveDweller2. Now things are like following:

1. Cable between computers is ok... at first time, my Ubuntu sees the connection and even Windows network computer.
2. Access to Windows computer is denied / an error to access.
3. Windows computer has no dual LAN ports on mobo / additional network adapter.
4. Cable is connected in my Ubuntu PC's mobo's LAN port and leads to a LAN port on a Windows computer's mobo.
5. Both, my Motorola connection (Windows PC), and LAN connection from Windows PC's mobo is active.
6. Motorola is active and are providing an internet to main W. PC.
7. Connection from mobo's LAN of W. PC is active too, but has a red cross over the line (error).
8. As said, in point 1 - Ubuntu's "wired" connection is active, and it sees an opposit Windows PC (but can't access it).

I need the following: Making access to files from W. PC from my Ubuntu PC, plus internet from Ub. PC as well; at least internet from Ubun. PC is required.

If someone can help, please, I'm in a big need at the moment.
Thanks so much...

rhino1366 :thumbsup:

#11 rhino1366

rhino1366
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2009 - 01:24 AM

Any XP users?

Made an IP manually, as instructed, and made a same mask. DNS Servers and Search Domains aren't filled. Maybe that's the problem? <== Ubuntu PC

P.S. From main PC, both, modem and direct-cable (mobos' LANs) connections are active. Ubuntu sees main Win. computer, but can't access it. What I'm doing wrong? Ahh... =(
P.P.S. No internet from Ub. PC...

Please, assist!
rhino

#12 rhino1366

rhino1366
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2009 - 03:02 AM

Ok. Now, I've entered xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx for host comp. and xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx for Ubuntu (in auto eth0). Mask is xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx in both. Connection: crossover: from Ubuntu PC - LAN port on mobo, to Win.XP PC - LAN port on mobo. Connection in both OSs are displayed as active, but they are only sending packages, not receiving... WHY?! What am I doing wrong?! Still - no internet from Ubuntu PC (main (Win.XP) has)! Please, help me...

rhino :thumbsup:

Edited by rhino1366, 20 November 2009 - 07:21 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users