Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft Word - problem with opening docs in Word

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 FrogmanMickey

FrogmanMickey

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 PM

Posted 18 November 2009 - 06:21 PM

Hi

Here is a strange one. I have Microsoft Word 2000 on a computer running Windows XP SP3. I just began having a problem opening documents directly in Word. The documents will open but they are not right. For example, I have a document that is passworded out. Within Word, the document will open, but it does not ask for a password, and the contents of the document come up scrambled. Here is an excerpt of what it looks like:

++7k'p%V9
q|F
tUzjikvnnnU
b*79gCAg
tǟ┅c\0B~Iʝ_sD
l%*~tL
T,*O>.lC
Ab/hA>[S

This goes on for 20 pages.

However, if I go into Windows Explorer and open the document by double clicking on it there, it correctly asks for the password and opens fine. Weird, no?

I tried opening other documents from Word that do not have passwords. They open, but the documents include a bunch of formatting instructions that usually remain hidden. But from Windows Explorer they open fine. Here is an example:

Document opened with Windows Explorer

Blaine
Blair
Brody
Bryce
EVAN: English form of Welsh Iefan, meaning "God is gracious."
Lucas
Quentin
----------------------------------------------

Same document opened from within Word:

Blaine
Blair
Brody
Bryce
EVAN: English form of Welsh Iefan, meaning "God is gracious."
Lucas
Quentin

Normal
Normal
Default Paragraph Font
Default Paragraph Font
Hyperlink
Hyperlink
aC:\Documents and Settings\Doug\Application Data\Microsoft\Word\AutoRecovery save of Document1.asd
aC:\Documents and Settings\Doug\Application Data\Microsoft\Word\AutoRecovery save of Document1.asd
?C:\Documents and Settings\Doug\My Documents\Word\Boys Names.doc䀃老e
Unknown!
Times New Roman
Times New Roman
Symbol
Symbol
Blaine
Blaine
Blaine
Normal.dot
Microsoft Word 9.0
Blaine
Root Entry
1Table
1Table
WordDocument
WordDocument
SummaryInformation
SummaryInformation
DocumentSummaryInformation
DocumentSummaryInformation
CompObj
CompObj
ObjectPool
ObjectPool
Microsoft Word Document
MSWordDoc
Word.Document.8
--------------------------------------------

Also, once the document has been opened with Windows Explorer it opens correctly from the recent documents list under the File menu in Word as long as it stays on the list. So it is only navigating to the document files from within Word that is a problem.

What may have changed recently to have caused this?
Over the past couple of days I have been working with one of the people at bleeping computer to try to eliminate some malware. The situation with Word was NOT a symptom of the malware. Word used to work fine even with malware in the computer. But we ran a bunch of scans and virus fixers during the exercise. Perhaps something we did screwed up Word, I don't know.

If you think the answer is to uninstall and reinstall Word, that is a simple enough remedy. But I wanted to check with you before doing that in case you have heard of this and something else is actually the problem that re-installing Word won't fix.

Thank You.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 18 November 2009 - 09:04 PM

I would be hard to tell with your infection
You have an open topic in the HJT forum. You really should not make any changes until you are done there
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 FrogmanMickey

FrogmanMickey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2009 - 10:02 PM

OK. I will leave it be for now.
Frogman Mickey

#4 FrogmanMickey

FrogmanMickey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2009 - 12:23 AM

No worries, I discovered what was "wrong" with Word.

In the File/Open menu, when the navigation box opens, there is a drop down menu for File Type. Of course, that is "always" set to Word documents, right? so who ever looks at it? Well, somehow it got set to Recover Text From Any File (*.*). When I changed it back to Word documents, everything straightened out. I must have inadvertently changed the file type while doing something else, but since I did not do it on purpose, I didn't think to look at it when the box was open. I found the answer here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/259413

I know, I am not smarter than a 5th grader. Glad I didn't waste anyone's time with this.
Frogman Mickey

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users