Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Back-up

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 J.C.

J.C.

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 18 November 2009 - 05:39 PM

Hi, just got a laptop with windows7 installed and I installed the MSOffice home and Student 2007 software. I have been trying to back up my file data on a usb drive (pen drive) but with this new system I am finding it difficult to backup.
I suppose I got used to XP way of doing things. Any help on how to, will be appreciated. Thanks guys.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aus Smithy

Aus Smithy

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 AM

Posted 19 November 2009 - 01:37 AM

Quote: "I am finding it difficult to backup"
Can you give more detail about what you experience when you try to do backups.

#3 DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 PM

Posted 19 November 2009 - 08:25 AM

Hi, just got a laptop with windows7 installed and I installed the MSOffice home and Student 2007 software. I have been trying to back up my file data on a usb drive (pen drive) but with this new system I am finding it difficult to backup.

Plug the USB stick in and note the drive letter.
Start>all programs>maintainence>backup and restore>setup backup>follow the wizard

#4 J.C.

J.C.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2009 - 08:28 AM

For instance in windowsXP I used to select the file or folder and then go to 'Copy file to'. This opens a dialog box with various locations, one of which was 'Removable disk' which I used to select (in my case was the USB).
In windows7 there is no such thing or if there is its either in a different sequence or style.
I hope this gives you a clear picture of what I meant in the begining of this topic.

#5 Aus Smithy

Aus Smithy

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2009 - 02:57 AM

I notice that the Windows 7 help in Backup says that a USB won't be "used" as a possible resource unless it is 1GB or larger. Does your USB stick meet this criteria?

#6 J.C.

J.C.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2009 - 11:16 AM

Presently, I use a 4GB USB. I use it as I found its easier (not a heavy burden) to carry about plus for my personal files there is no need for a larger capacity.

#7 Aus Smithy

Aus Smithy

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2009 - 03:34 AM

J.C.
After you plug your USB stick in does it appear in Windows explorer?

In my Windows 7 if I click on a Folder or File I can go to the EDIT tab at the top of the screen and there is a "Copy to Folder" option - if I select that my USB appears.

#8 J.C.

J.C.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2009 - 11:02 AM

Hi,
I must thank you both for your help, especially Aus Smithy. Your input was very handy. In the end I managed to do it by going into Documents and on the left hand side below Computer there it was 'Removeable Hardware'. I located the file, and it was a matter of 'drag and drop' file on to the Removable hardware (in my case the USB). Best regards to all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users