Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My computer keeps shutting down

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 gallygaskins

gallygaskins

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 AM

Posted 18 November 2009 - 04:37 PM

Hello everyone

My computer keeps shutting down. It is very frustrating and there seems to be no pattern so I'm hoping someone out there can help me. OS - Vista Ultimate 32 running AVG free (latest version), Firefox.

This has only happened since the installation of service pack 2 and haven't, as yet, taken it back to 1 yet.

It seems to just go off when I either do a scan (AVG), run sims 3, or do something that requires dl/ul, ie pictures from camera, update of ipod library. I've checked that the fans are all ok and the heat of the CPU is about 26 degrees. Its an AMD Athlon 64 Dual Core 6000+.

I am currently checking for malware with malwarebytes as I type this. Still scanning C but nothing coming up as of yet.

Can anyone suggested anything else? Is there any particular information you need?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 AM

Posted 19 November 2009 - 06:14 AM

hi,,, looking at the things you say causes the event, i would have said it was heat,,,, as most of these things are intensive programs,,, and would have suggested a good clean out with a can of compressed air,,,, but the temps you are seeing say other wise,,,,,, run scans with your A/V and download malwarebytes free version,,, update it and run a full scan,,,,, while your scanning open task manager and see how much cpu your using and if it stays at around 100% as this will cause a shutdown too,,,, also type ,,, event viewer ,,, into tearch box in start menu and hit enter ,,, take a look in critical and error in event viewer to see if this will shed some light on it,,,
good luck.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#3 gallygaskins

gallygaskins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 AM

Posted 20 November 2009 - 07:34 AM

Thanks, Figgis, i'll get onto that all right away. Keep you posted.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users