Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Administrator Account

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 gailee

gailee

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 AM

Posted 18 November 2009 - 02:26 PM

After several attempts to update Windows Live Messenger, I have found out I need to be signed in as administrator to add or remove. I am the only user and have all administrative rights. I can't uninstall Window Live Essentials to do a clean install of WLM. I logged in safe mode to get to admin user and set a password; if there was one had no clue what it was. REbooted but can't use the password. Get 2 popups: background has Administrator and password boxes grayed out and the top sez GINA Logon(not my user name). The popup in front sez "unable to log u on becuz of an acct restriction."

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Funnel Web_*

Guest_Funnel Web_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 18 November 2009 - 05:39 PM

you could try this

Go to
http://download.live.com/?sku=messenger
and install a couple of other Live apps. After, See if you can uninstall it then!!

:thumbsup:

#3 gailee

gailee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2009 - 06:10 PM

been there done that. the problem is even tho my user profile, the only one on the computer, has admin rights, the system thinks I don't so therefore I cannot uninstall or update windows live.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,119 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2009 - 07:08 PM

Try creating a new profile...and uninstalling from there?

Your current profile may be damaged.

Louis

#5 gailee

gailee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 18 November 2009 - 07:30 PM

do you mean create a new user? i can install/uninstall and do everything but windows live stuff on the only user I have now.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,119 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2009 - 08:23 PM

Yes.

Create a new account with admin privileges and try to remove it.

Louis

#7 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 18 November 2009 - 11:16 PM

Wait a minute. Is this xp home?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290109

yes there are more esoteric things that can generate this error but make sure to eliminate the simple ones first.

Edited by Ken-in-West-Seattle, 18 November 2009 - 11:21 PM.

#8 gailee

gailee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 AM

Posted 18 November 2009 - 11:16 PM

created new user acct w/ admin priv. Get same, wlm won't install

#9 gailee

gailee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2009 - 11:19 PM

Wait a minute. Is this xp home?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290109

yes i did that and it doesnt let me use the password i created. I could try it w/ the new user I just created.

And I forgot, I have the latest version of WLM installed so why is it telling me to update??

Edited by gailee, 18 November 2009 - 11:42 PM.

#10 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2009 - 11:35 PM

http://ask-leo.com/how_do_i_uninstall_wind..._messenger.html

ok read this and see if there are any clues as to which version you're trying to uninstall. This site has some pretty extensive info on the messenger products.

Have you run any malware scanners? Did you have any failed updates or failed software installs?

The WLM looks almost as ugly as previous versions (stuff with the word messenger in it)

#11 gailee

gailee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 AM

Posted 18 November 2009 - 11:48 PM

searched his site too. I cannot uninstall through add/remove programs. When I click on it, it dims for a bit and comes right back. Have also triedmanually through program files (wlarp.exe) and that's where I get the message I need to be logged in as admin to remove. Updates are utd. Spyware and virus scans done weekly. This problem has been going on for a while. I was thinking of using some other scans if I couldn't get a solution in the forums.

#12 gailee

gailee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2009 - 12:33 AM

FINALLY!!! Windows Live problem solved, I've wasted so much time this week researching. Thanks ken for pointing me back to leo's site. I was reading all the comments and came across the link for Windows Installer Clean Up Utility (support.microsoft.com\kb\290301). Guess I already downloaded this back in 2006 for some other problem I researched! I ran it and removed ALL Windows Live elements. Then used the full windows live program to install with no problems. I hope someone else can use this information.

The password issue on the administrator user profile still exists.

Edited by gailee, 19 November 2009 - 12:41 AM.

#13 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2009 - 09:45 AM

Scan with malwarebytes if you haven't.

RE the administrator password.

I use pro on most of my computers so I often forget that home uses a blank password in safe mode unless you have set one. It is embarrassing to admit how often I try to guess passwords on clients machines when there ultimately is none.

Can you describe you administrator problem again and test a few other tasks that use the administrator function? I or someone else might be able to spot a pattern that might turn into a clue.

or when all else fails... I have used this to reset the admin pw to blank. Do not use this without backups and be willing to reinstall from scratch. This is a free tool but it makes it possible to do serious damage to your system if you don't understand the process or risks.
http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users