Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

uninstall windows 7 and install windows xp

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 AhrenFox

AhrenFox

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 AM

Posted 18 November 2009 - 01:44 PM

I know it might seem crazy but I need to know how to uninstall windows 7 so that I can install windows xp. I work in the oilfield and most of the programs I have are not yet compatible with windows 7 not to mention they are just coming out with patches and fixes to use them with Vista. I have a Dell computer that was purchased as Wallyworld (WalMart). I need to know how to downgrade to xp Please.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 AM

Posted 18 November 2009 - 02:02 PM

Before you do that, maybe you should consider checking out the Compatibility Troubleshooter. If a program runs on XP, it should run on Windows 7 with no problem. Check out this thread:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...patibility+mode

If you really want to downgrade, you will need to buy an XP (Full Version, not an upgrade) operating system and install it.

#3 AhrenFox

AhrenFox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2009 - 02:28 PM

Thank you for the link and the help, I am currently trying to see if it works. Will post my progress or failure. Thanks again.

#4 AhrenFox

AhrenFox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2009 - 05:14 PM

Ok, tried Compatibility mode and it worked for some programs but not the main ones I need. The boss is letting me purchase Windows 7 ultimate 32 bit so I will try this tomorrow, if not I got a cool computer with W7 ultimate and Ill use my old computer with the programs I need until there are patches and updates <probably by Jan 2013>
Ill still let you know if Ultimate works or not.

#5 AhrenFox

AhrenFox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2009 - 01:08 PM

Ok, bought W7 ultimate and installed the 32bit, and it looks like all my programs are working fine, had to use the compatibility mode on most and downloaded drivers that were for Vista 32 bit and all looks good.
Thank You Groovicus for your links and help.

:huh:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users