Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 and Thunderbird email

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Moloki

Moloki

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 PM

Posted 18 November 2009 - 01:08 PM

I just purchased a computer with Windows 7 on it for a colleague. Her computer needs to be reformatted. It is cooked.

I hooked everything up and thought (very operative term) I did the install correctly.

I downloaded Thunderbird so she could set up her email accounts. The problem is that some email accounts were accessible while others were not. The accounts that are not allowing us to set up give a message about either not recognizing a password, or not communicating with the server.

Would there be a security setting on Windows 7 that is stopping me? If so how do I go there? We set all POP and SMTP as they were on the old computer that used XP and ran Thunderbird. I called the company that runs the mail server and they report no problems. I can access the same email accounts from my XP OS but not with Win7.

I am a neophyte, so please be kind. Computer is turned ON. ;)

Many thanks,

Moloki

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 meandmypc

meandmypc

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 AM

Posted 18 November 2009 - 05:39 PM

Here is a Link to a Thunderbird email Set-up Tutorial which may Help

http://www.freeemailtutorials.com/mozillaT...mailAccount.cwd

When you see a box that asks you for you Password, enter the Password you used to log into your ISP email account & tick the box to remember Password

If you have multiple email addresses from a mailbox go to Thunderbird Tools > account settings > click on Mailbox left pane > Manage identities, right pane > in, "Identities for Mailbox" click on Add, & add your additional email addresses,

Hope this Helps, Good Luck.

#3 meandmypc

meandmypc

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 AM

Posted 19 November 2009 - 03:19 AM

Here is a Link to a Thunderbird email Set-up Tutorial which may Help

http://www.freeemailtutorials.com/mozillaT...mailAccount.cwd

When you see a box that asks you for you Password, enter the Password you used to log into your ISP email account & tick the box to remember Password

If you have multiple email addresses from a mailbox go to Thunderbird Tools > account settings > click on Mailbox left pane > Manage identities, right pane > in, "Identities for Mailbox" click on Add, & add your additional email addresses,

Hope this Helps, Good Luck.

This is the Mozilla T/bird Setup Tutorial, This may be of more help to you =

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Thunderbird_:_FA...Getting_Started

#4 Moloki

Moloki
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 PM

Posted 19 November 2009 - 09:27 AM

Thanks! I was at the end of me rope. That and a few other issues (security settings in IE were set to barely allow more than a connection to the internet) and I sure did not set them, finally solved the problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users