Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot connect to wireless internet

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 arkle

arkle

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 AM

Posted 18 November 2009 - 12:04 PM

hi everybody. i have a very frustrating problem and would appreciate any help

i have a studio 17 dell laptop, with windows vista. i was accessing our wireless internet fine. in my house, there were 3 computers all accessing it with no problems. i then went away on holiday for one week. when i returned, i turned on the computer, and could no longer access the internet. as an aside, my brother happened to move out in the meantime and took his computer with him. perhaps that matters, but i don't see why it should.

the icon at the bottom right of the screen says 'connected to "mynetwork"', but when i go to a webpage it doesn't find the internet.

in the 'network and sharing centre' it says 'my computer' is connected to 'mynetwork' which in turn is NOT connected to 'internet'

i actually reinstalled Windows completely last week, to combat this plus a couple of other unrelated issues. however, this problem remains.

if i diagnose the problem, it says 'There may be a problem with your domain name server'.

finally, i rang virgin Media and went through all of the basic and not-so-basic things he could think of. in the end, he was flummoxed as i 'pinged' a number which returned 'sent 4, recieved 4' but also said 'could not connect to' whatever it was we were trying to connect to. he finished the call saying 'that is not possible! not possible!' and said there must be a problem with my computer

also, i have IntelPROset wireless on the computer.

thanks in advance for any advice!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 doinmeedin

doinmeedin

• Members
  • 455 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2009 - 05:24 PM

Type into start services.msc when it opens check to see if your DNS Client is set to Started Automatic, also if you want to check all your services are set to the recommended settings go to this link http://www.blackviper.com/ also you could try resetting your router !
Good Luck ! :thumbsup:

Edited by doinmeedin, 18 November 2009 - 05:26 PM.

If life is not an option then why are we not given the option in the first place !

#3 arkle

arkle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2009 - 06:06 PM

i will try that.

there is one more thing i have to add...my father's laptop is connecting fine to the wifi...

i'm pretty sure that it's not a router problem, i went through that with the virgin media tech...

anyway, i will try the other things now...

#4 arkle

arkle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2009 - 05:18 AM

well, i went to blackviper.com and adjusted my system accordingly....but after i did that all of my wireless networks disappeared from view! i couldn't find any! even after i changed everything back i still couldn't, so i had to system restore!

anyway, on blackviper.com, the changes seem to me to be more about what you can disable to help your computer run quicker...it doesn't, in my opinion, help me set things correctly to connect to my wireless internet.

also, i checked that the DNS server is set to 'automatic'. plus my previous reply...

any more suggestions please?

#5 doinmeedin

doinmeedin

• Members
  • 455 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2009 - 07:41 AM

Well maybe if all the other pc's are working ok yours is infected and maybe you should start in the " am i infected what do i do next " forum !
The other alternative is if you can connect using safe mode with networking try running this from this link its a perfectly safe program and may sort out your problem !
http://www.superadblocker.com/bootsafe.html or even download it onto another machine and then transfer the file onto yours and then run it !
Hope you get sorted soon !

Edited by doinmeedin, 19 November 2009 - 07:54 AM.

If life is not an option then why are we not given the option in the first place !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users