Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Loosing share connect to server - help

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 tim_ver

tim_ver

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 PM

Posted 18 November 2009 - 10:54 AM

I have four workstations "all XP sp3" hooked through a Netgear router to a Windows 2003 Adv server. I have the local C on the server shared for a application running for workstations to use. I then path/map this through explore on each workstation. Everything was working fine then all of a sudden when I came in this week and launched the short cut on the workstation, it gave an error so I checked the pathing and I had to re-login into the share"using right click on start - explore...". I made sure I checked the box to reconnect for the share again. All was fine then next day same issue. This time I rebooted and then all was fine.

What is going on why am I loosing my share to the server C drive? I map it correctly through explore and make sure the box is checked to reconnect. This is happening on all of the workstations.

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 PM

Posted 08 December 2009 - 07:42 PM

You are probably experiencing an inactivity timeout that is built into Windows 2000, and 2003.

Microsoft has a Knowledgebase article referring to this problem. Go here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/297684.

Be advised, you will be making registry changes by hand. Working in the registry can be very detrimental to your server if done improperly.

With that said, I would advise using the registry editing method and not the Command Line method. I have tried both in my time and have much better success and speed with the Registry editing method.

Hope this helps,
Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#3 samuria

samuria

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 AM

Posted 13 December 2009 - 06:49 PM

Sharing drive c on the server is suicidal as it mean anyone can delete anything by accident or on purpose and any virus on any pc can go across to the server. At least create a directory and share that not the whole drive

#4 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 PM

Posted 12 January 2010 - 11:57 AM

is this a domain or a workgroup? if it is a workgroup when you log out it will always ask for a name and password on the server regardless of if the user is on the server because it can't authenticate the login from the workstation. Use a log on script to map the drive with a user name and password. Just be sure to create log of script to disconnect the drive so it deosn't attempt to connect to the drive before the log on script runs.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users