Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Administrators" in Security settings instead of admin or administrator

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Gilliemac

Gilliemac

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 18 November 2009 - 10:37 AM

I have an "Administrators" entry in my security settings Does this relate to windows services or is it put there by a virus?

This entry does not show up on the users screen or anywhere else on the computer even when showing hidden files etc.

If I go through every entry on the security settings, it is there.

I am having startup problems with my PC

It started with "security tools' virus

I sequentially lose files and exe use, it also disables Windows Task Manager

My discs lose NTLDR settings and the disks are overwritten and become innaccessable.
Changing the drive and reloading windows after resetting the BIOS only works for the initial boot up before I lose my PC again.

Any Virus software does not find a reference to this problem, in fact if I run ANY virus software I lose everything immediately and NO exe files are left as they are all disabled by "access denied" messages.

It installs a "reboot,exe file in the startup sequence so that every time windows reboots, it reboots again

Formatting a drive on a different PC does not recover them!

I have gone through 6 different hard drives on this

Update new data to DMI seems to put this onto the system where do I find the file that loads the DMI data?

Fixing the NTFS on startup causes a corrupted drive name in the BIOS eg SYEMSTNG instead of SAMSUNG

A Memory Dump log file if I let it happen instead of switching the on/off button corrupts just about every file and wipes out info IN the files ie The File folders are still there, but they are empty!
I can overcome this by going to the Advanced properties - Start and Recovery -Settings - system failure and untick the three boxe and select None in the 'write debugging program' selection

I have a good Network Adapter, but cannot use it on this PC as the PC states that No Network Adapter is present on the PC ??

This is the breif version of the problems I have encountered, I have overcome lots of others due to this virus, but I need some help with the above if anyone has any experience with them

Also I would be interested in Knowing if the is a site where I can get a comprehensive list of Registry Entries and their meanings.

Thanks,
Gil

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,561 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 PM

Posted 18 November 2009 - 10:56 AM

Just curious...if you cannot see this setting...how do you know it exists?

FWIW: I have added the Security Tab to my XP Home system and the permissions grouping is "administrators". Permissions are granted to the entire class of administrators, not just one "administrator".

Louis

#3 Gilliemac

Gilliemac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 19 November 2009 - 09:42 AM

Hi Louis,

The "Administrators " box is not displayed at windows logon screen as one of the users.

I would assume that if you added it to your groups you would see it at startup.

I not only can't see it at startup, if I try to set it as a user, The system shuts down.

My administrator box and user boxes are.

When I go into explorer and select a file - settings and security - owners "Administrators" is listed as the owner and I have to choose my own administrator settin for FULL permissions to try and override this.

It resets on every startup
Gil

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,561 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 PM

Posted 19 November 2009 - 09:52 AM

OK, thanks :thumbsup:.

My logon screen has never displayed anything other than my name...so I would not expect it to be on the logon screen. "Administrator" might be the default logon where a user has not specified username data (when installing XP), I don't know.

A little research, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/327918

When you referred to security settings...I thought that you were concerned with permissions issues, not a logon screen.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users