Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reformat a Windows 2000 computer and then upgrade to Windows xp pro sp2 and update to sp3

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 peterjwfrench

peterjwfrench

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 AM

Posted 18 November 2009 - 05:02 AM

Hi everyone any tips on how to do this as I cant even get into a simlar mode of safe mode like you can on xp

thanks
peter french

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 PM

Posted 21 November 2009 - 04:51 PM

Hi, you can not format the PC then upgrade to another version...the old OS needs to be in place to upgrade.
MCP
MSDST

#3 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 AM

Posted 22 November 2009 - 07:35 PM

Boot from the XP upgrade CD. Partition and format. During install you will be asked to insert the old OS disk. After the compliance check reinsert the XP disk, and install is normal from that point on. I usually download XP updates by themselves (XP SP3 redist) and put it on a USB drive, or burn it to a CD, and upgrade from that.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;DisplayLang=en

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users