Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Password Protected Folders

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 13mx

13mx

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 AM

Posted 07 August 2005 - 08:01 PM

I have windows XP, and I was wondering if anyone can recomend a program for password protecting folders.

I share a computer with my family and I dont want them in my folders so I need to keep them out. I don't want to encrypt the files, just attach a password. The programs I got from Cnet.com all stink. I can password protect them. but after I put in the pass word I have to open the program up and set the password again, that is such a pain.

what I really want, is to be able to access the folder and close it out, and the next time I open the folder it will ask me for the password.

Edited by 13mx, 08 August 2005 - 10:54 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,595 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2005 - 03:35 PM

Are you running XP Home or Pro?

In XP Home you can lock down your folders in your user account and you don't even need a password except for your logon. As far as locking down folders on your main hard drive (outside of Documents and Settings), I don't know. :thumbsup:

The thing about people

is they change

when they walk away.--Mipso

#3 13mx

13mx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2005 - 05:21 PM

I have XP pro, but I don't like to create other user accounts. I'm the primary user of the computer, my brother will use it on occasion.

What I'm sayin is, I need a program that allows you to put a password on a folder. This is what the programs that I've Found do.

1) open the program and select a folder to protect.
2) When you go to open the folder it will ask for the password.
3) After you type the password it unlocks the folder leaving it unprotected.

The folder that I want to protect is a commonly used folder. so that is why I want a program that will keep it protected after I use the password

#4 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,595 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2005 - 09:35 PM

Well, obviously if you open a folder to set a password, it's going to be accessable to anyone as long as it's open. Are you saying (in your first post) that, in the programs you have tried out, you have to reset the password before you close the folder? So it can't be opened by someone who doesn't know the password? What programs are you talking about specifically?

I always try to look for ways to do what I want with what Windows offers instead of looking for a program to do it. The easiest way to do what you want would be to to create an account for your brother and then make whatever folder you want to protect private. He wouldn't be able to see what is inside of that folder, even if it was an administrator account, but he could always log in to your account to access it if you didn't password protect your main log on.

But since you don't want to do that there is one other way that I know of. You could send the folder to a compressed folder. Then put a password on it. Whether the folder is open or not, none of the files in the folder would be opened without entering the password. And you don't have to reset the password when you close. Only problem with that is that you can't hide which files are in the folder, just prevent them from being opened. You can't prevent the folder itself from being opened to view the files within.

Maybe soemone else will know of the type program you are looking for. I don't know if anything is going to be as convenient as you want it to be.

The thing about people

is they change

when they walk away.--Mipso

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users