Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD on boot and cannot connect to the internet.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 xybjj

xybjj

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 18 November 2009 - 12:25 AM

Hi,

The topic title is a little misleading, but here's my problem (all summed up along with my troubleshooting attempts). I bought Windows 7 64 bit edition, installed it, on first startup, a BSOD with stop code 0x00000116 came up pointing at my display driver (atikmdag.sys). My system specs can be found here. Everything on that page is exactly what I have, except that I have 4GB DDR2 800MHz and a Sapphire ATI Radeon HD4650 1GB DDR2 (I bought them as parts and put them in myself.) I'll refer to the ATI HD4650 as the GPU.

Long story short, when I installed the RAM and brand new GPU, I was using Vista Home Basic 32bit (Came with the computer) where everything worked great. Then after I decided to upgrade my OS to the shiny new Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit, and that's when all my troubles started. Please take note that I did not use the upgrade option, but I performed a clean install (Formatted the partition W7 was going into, then installed).

On first start up, a BSOD with stop code 0x00000116 came up, pointing at my GPU's display driver, then I did some troubleshooting (I thought it was the RAM at first because the BSOD screen went off too fast for me to read). So I just replaced the RAM with an older stick (The default one), still the same BSOD, then I assumed it was the graphics card, so I took out the GPU, and sure enough the BSODs stopped.

So my first kick in the face was that the driver refused to work properly on Windows 7. Now, the GPU worked fine on Vista, so I'm pretty darn sure there's nothing wrong with the card, just the driver. I had the W7 64bit driver (Downloaded from the ATI site) for the GPU in my external HDD, so I went into safemode with the GPU inside and tried to install the driver from safemode and an error came up saying "Failed to load detection driver" and then I gave up and took out the GPU. I didn't touch the BIOS because I didn't want to break anything. If it IS the card, I still have warranty on the card so I can have it RMA'd.

After I took out my GPU, then W7 actually started to boot up and I could see the start menu and all. Then the next problem - I can't connect to the internet. The ethernet cable is plugged in, device manager says there's nothing wrong with the hardware/drivers. So I ran the troubleshooter, and it said that "'Local Area Connection' doesn't have a valid IP configuration". So I did what any sensible person would do, I restarted the router, but that didn't work.

I went into services.msc to see if Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) was on, and it wasn't and the startup type was set to disabled, so I changed that to automatic and tried to start ICS, but yet another error came up, "The Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) service on Local Computer started and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they are not in use by other services or programs.".

Soooo I need help with 2 problems; the GPU driver refusing to work with W7 and not being able to connect to the internet on W7. They both work on Vista, so I don't see any reason why they shouldn't work on W7.

Thanks.

P.S.: I'm not very tech-savvy, and I'm too damn afraid of touching anything in the bios, so I'd appreciate it if no difficult terms were used. Thank you.

Edited by xybjj, 18 November 2009 - 12:28 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aus Smithy

Aus Smithy

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 18 November 2009 - 04:25 AM

For your info - re your GPU driver - before I upgraded to Win 7 32bit Home Premium from Vista 32bit Home Premium I downloaded the latest Vista/Win 7 driver for my GPU (which happens to be a NVIDIA). After the upgrade I found the upgrade had loaded an older driver.
So this indicates the OS install tries to use a driver it thinks should work but it looks likely your install has a compatibility problem with the ATI GPU. There seem to be other people having similiar problems - do a Google search using "Sapphire ATI Radeon HD4650 windows 7 driver".
You may also have a compatibility problem with the drivers for the device you use to connect to your ISP.

It's probably too late but Microsoft have a tool called WindowsUpgradeAdvisor which runs over your Vista PC and warns about what may cause you problems.
You could probably achieve this now by using the following site - I think changing to 64bit means a fair bit of background checking of your hardware and software:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibi...us/default.aspx

#3 xybjj

xybjj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2009 - 05:23 AM

I had run the upgrade advisor tool before I did the install, it said everything was compatible. I hadn't mentioned this in the original post, but before my upgrades (The ram and gpu), I could run W7 64bit BETA build (I was a beta tester) without any hitches.

My GPU (ATI HD4650) is quite new (The technology, not from when I bought it), and I did some checking, and they ARE compatible. Both microsoft and Sapphire says it's compatible. My older, integrated card (ATI x1250) works with W7, so I don't see why the newer and far more capable GPU can't.

I'm getting a copy of Vista x64 later on if I can't find a solution. Nothing seems to work for me on W7. I can't even fix the can't-connect-to-internet problem.

Edited by xybjj, 18 November 2009 - 05:26 AM.

#4 xybjj

xybjj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2009 - 01:01 AM

I've changed back to Vista. Please close the thread :x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users