Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

OS XP Home Have NETWORK & INTERNET CONNECTION BUT

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 purplegirl029

purplegirl029

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 PM

Posted 17 November 2009 - 08:27 PM

I have been at this for 3 days I spent a whole day on the phone with RR and Linksys - We have 3 desktops and one laptop and all BUT ONE are working fine - I am at the point I took everything off the PC in question and I just want to start it fresh. Dell once gave me instructions to "as it start to boot up hold down the control key and tap the F11 key - this is not working - Restoring the system is not working! Can someone please help me? I just put new memory and RAM and a wireless card in this machine and upgraded to a wireless keyboard & mouse. I am beyond frustrated! Thank you for any input.

Edited by purplegirl029, 17 November 2009 - 08:27 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2009 - 08:42 PM

System model?

Do you have recovery/restore disks from Dell?

Louis

#3 purplegirl029

purplegirl029
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2009 - 08:44 PM

Yes, I have everything that came with the PC - Dell Dimension 3000

Edited by purplegirl029, 17 November 2009 - 08:45 PM.

#4 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 PM

Posted 17 November 2009 - 09:05 PM

try Ctrl - F11
I have had to do it a dozen times before it triggers. Some machines I never did get it to trigger and had to use linux to pull the restore partition off and manipulate it. Several had a restore partition damaged by other user actions.

Details of what can go wrong with the Dell restore partition and ways to fix them:
http://www.goodells.net/dellrestore/fixes.htm
and how to make it worse before finding the info above.
http://forums.devshed.com/windows-help-34/...-cd-363727.html

If you have a black and gray cd/dvd with "windows xp " on the front you may have a full recovery set. Many of the recent models require that you make your own when you get your new computer.

Edited by Ken-in-West-Seattle, 17 November 2009 - 09:07 PM.

#5 purplegirl029

purplegirl029
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2009 - 09:13 PM

Thanks, I'll keep trying, XP CD is purple.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2009 - 09:52 PM

The purple disk is the recovery disk, per Solution #3 at http://www.fixya.com/support/t115792-reins..._dimension_3000.

Louis

#7 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2009 - 09:16 AM

Looking through all my dell disks, I did find one purple disk (cd) that is the xp home for a somewhat recent dimension desktop so you could be ok, but in looking at it, it appears to be an oem xp only with minimal drivers. It will allow a repair install and I think it has the repair console. It may or may not have the complete factory out of box system like the ctrl f-11 does.

I think this is better for me but may be confusing for many end users since it will allow you to nuke the restore partition if you don't realize what it is.

#8 purplegirl029

purplegirl029
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2009 - 11:16 AM

There are a total of 5 discs - Operating System (Purple) then 3 Blue ones (1) Drivers & Utilities (2) Application For Reinstalling Sonic Record Now (3) Application fro reinstallin Cyberlink Power DVD (4) Microsoft Office 2003.

With all of the upgrades I have alread done I have decided t just upgrade to Vista - someone told me I can't have XP and Vista on the same network - so I'm off to e-bay to find a copy of Vista - since Dell claims they are no longer selling it.

Thanks for all the input!

#9 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,258 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2009 - 11:33 AM

someone told me I can't have XP and Vista on the same network

That is patently false. Whoever told you that has absolutely no idea what they're talking about!

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2009 - 12:07 PM

FWIW: It may be better to upgrade to Windows 7, rather than Vista.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 18 November 2009 - 12:07 PM.

#11 purplegirl029

purplegirl029
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2009 - 06:10 AM

Will I have to uninstall XP to upgrade or can I just do the upgrade because nothing is working and I am so done with this!!

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2009 - 08:10 AM

I acquired the family pack Home Premium upgrade version of Win 7, receiving both the 32-bit and 64-bit installation CDs.

I have a number of hard drives attached to my system and I just made sure that I had sufficient unallocated space at the beginning of the one I intended to install Win 7 on.

I put the 32-bit disk in...rebooted the system...followed the bouncing balls..and Win 7 installed in about 20 minutes (I think), exactly where I wanted it.

This system now has a dual-boot, XP and Windows 7 Home Premium (32-bit).

Louis

FWIW: If you elect to go the Win 7 route, the family pack Upgrade for Home Premium...which features 3 licensed installs...is only slightly more than what I see as asking price for either the 32-bit/64-bit version as a single item. Not hard to figure out which is cheaper and provides more alternatives :thumbsup:.

#13 purplegirl029

purplegirl029
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2009 - 06:32 PM

Hi All

Iwent to the Dell website and they had 3 options for reinstalling the OS, I tried all 3 and I still can't get this sucker to work right. on the manual installation when I get to the boot menu the closet item to what they want me to choose is #5 "IDE CD ROM" so I do, but I don't get anything like they say I should i.e. continue - repair or quit it just goes right to Windows log on screen!!

Any more suggestions?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users