Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Removing Spybot

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 spaynneuter

spaynneuter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 PM

Posted 07 August 2005 - 05:41 PM

I need to remove Spybot. When I boot up I get a message "Loading Spybot Search and Destroy", but it doesn't quite load. A message comes up, "Get Legal Stuff...etc." and continues, "If you remove this message..." I click OK, and a box comes up that says "Error". It has a red O with a white X in it. I can click OK, but I have to End Task to get rid of the Error box and Spybot to start using the computer. In the background is Spysweeper. I suspect that it is not doing whatever it is that it does because when I End Task, Spysweeper also goes away, even though I am only End Tasking Spybot.
[FONT=Geneva][SIZE=7][COLOR=green]You Can Save Lives: Please Spay or Neuter All Your Pets

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 unrepper

unrepper

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 PM

Posted 07 August 2005 - 11:29 PM

You have spybot set to run at start up and the same for spysweeper. I'm not fimiliar with spysweeper but I can help you with spybot. Let your computer start up and open spybot At the top click on mode and select advanced, click on settings and then click on settings in the menu, scroll down to automation and uncheck the first 3 boxes under program start, the put a check next to no automation in the next set. Spyware sweeper should have something similar.
Posted Image

#3 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,616 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 PM

Posted 08 August 2005 - 12:28 AM

Spysweeper also goes away, even though I am only End Tasking Spybot.

You may have a conflict with SpySweeper as well. I would suggest you uninstall both then reinstall, as you are asking about. Besides if you are still running version 1.3 of Spybot you need to upgrade to 1.4 as the older version won't update any more.

Follow unrepper's advice on how to disable Spybot's automation and then do the following to uninstall:

Open 1.3 . Go to Immunize. Click on UNDO at the top. At the bottom, take the checkmark OUT of "BrowserHelper> "Enable permanent blocking..."
This will disable all protection. Make sure ALL has been disabled.
If you are using Spybot's TeaTimer disable all protection there as well.
If Opera Browser is installed, de-select protection for Opera Immunity
Then go to Add/Remove programs via Start>Settings>Control Panel and REMOVE Spybot.
Reboot
Go to your Program Files and delete the old Spybot folder.
Delete the old desktop icon.
Then you are ready to install the new version.

Download Spybot S&D 1.4 here:
http://safer-networking.org/en/news/2005-05-31.html
or
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download2471.html

Before uninstalling SpySweeper:

Open SpySweeper and click Options | Program Options.
- Uncheck "load at windows startup".
Over to the left click "shields" and uncheck all options:
- Uncheck "home page shield".
- Uncheck 'automaticly restore default without notifiction.
-If you have an icon in the system tray, right click it and choose Exit.

I don't recommend ever using the automated scanning with Spybot. They have always had problems getting it to work right. Just scan with it once or twice a week unless you're doing a bunch of high risk surfing/downloading.

The thing about people

is they change

when they walk away.--Mipso

#4 spaynneuter

spaynneuter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2005 - 09:03 PM

Thanks for your instructions. I have followed them explicitly. Removing Spybot 1.3 seemed to be a breeze (altho I keep finding shadows of it in the most unlikely places); however, when I tried to load Spybot 1.4, big problems. I'll elaborate when I have more time.

In the meantime, my computer is working much better and, the best part, my geekless husband, is not frustrated by it.

Thanks for your help. I'll keep in touch since I came across Spykiller as well as Spysweeper and I doubt seriously if either of these is doing it's thing.

spaynneuter
[FONT=Geneva][SIZE=7][COLOR=green]You Can Save Lives: Please Spay or Neuter All Your Pets

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 PM

Posted 17 August 2005 - 09:17 PM

If you have Spykiller, you need to uninstall it, as it's on the Rogue/Suspect Anti-Spyware Products & Web Sites list.

uses inadequate scanning/detection scheme; this application is bundled in MaxNetShield (same company) as spyware protection

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 spaynneuter

spaynneuter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2005 - 10:11 PM

I found a thread of Spykiller when I went to Start, Find, Files and Folders, Browse, Spykiller. But I don't know if it's doing anything. How do I get rid of it?

#7 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2005 - 12:14 PM

Is it listed in your Add/Remove Programs list?
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

#8 spaynneuter

spaynneuter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2005 - 02:31 PM

No. Spykiller isn't listed in the add/remove programs list nor is it listed in my programs list (from the Start menu).

#9 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2005 - 07:35 PM

I found a thread of Spykiller when I went to Start, Find, Files and Folders, Browse, Spykiller

What was the complete path to the file?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users