Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cant connect to internet lited or no connectivity

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 mikea_304

mikea_304

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 AM

Posted 17 November 2009 - 07:58 PM

ok so this computer has been connecting to the internet on a regular basis as of lately it has showed me that I have limited or no connectivity. it is properly connected I have tested the cable with another machine and it checked out ok and I did all the simple things like turning off the computer then reseting the modem. running windows repair. I discovered that it was not reciving an IP adress. so feeling in over my head I took it down to geek squad for free diagnostics. they said it was probably my ethernet card so i picked one up and replaced it still nothing now they are telling me its a virus.
different machines on this network are 2 wireless laptops and one wired desktop they do not have any problems connecting

but I have disproved that its a virus I will be fine tooth combing later tonight but I'm convinced its a networking issue
so I dont know how to put this but HELLLLLLLP

RAM:4 gb
proceser: AMD turion x2

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 AM

Posted 18 November 2009 - 12:49 AM

You did good till you took it to those morons. They are rather clueless.

What router do you have?

When you installed the new card, was the old one onboard? or an actual card? Did you uninstall the old one before installing the new? If it was onboard you might have to go into the BIOS to disable it.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2009 - 08:01 AM

ok so this computer has been connecting to the internet on a regular basis as of lately it has showed me that I have limited or no connectivity. it is p

RAM:4 gb
proceser: AMD turion x2

With the PC connected directly to the modem, uninstall the NIC driver in Device Manager(right click>uninstall, then right click>scan for HW changes)

Try ipconfig at the command prompt. If it does not begin with 169.xxx, try surfing.

If it is still 169.xxx, obtain an elevated command prompt and try the following:

netsh winsock reset catalog

Reboot the PC and try ipconfig again.

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/02/17/h...-windows-vista/

#4 mikea_304

mikea_304
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2009 - 01:18 PM

ok sorry for wait life is a little crazy right now

ok network modem is a motorolla 3347 provided by qwest

card was pysically removed for installation but I do not believe that they uninstalled it
it was however disabled when I uninstalled it and scanned for new hardware it reinstalled it self

ok I did ipconfig and I did have a 169.xxx IP
I did the netsch reset
now I have a
IPv4 192.xxx
subnet mask 255.xxx
default gatway 192.xxx

network meter I have has no connection to external IP and shows no activity download or upload
but the windows connection thing says I am connected with acess to local only
when I look at the connection status map thing It has an X in between the network and the internet
when I click on that i get
reset the adapter after that does not work it says
plug in a cable (while it still says im connected but now to an unidentified network)
automatically get new IP settings
a problem with your network router or modem may be preventing an internet connection then gives instructions for manual turn reset

#5 DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2009 - 03:56 PM

ok sorry for wait life is a little crazy right now

ok network modem is a motorolla 3347 provided by qwest

card was pysically removed for installation but I do not believe that they uninstalled it
it was however disabled when I uninstalled it and scanned for new hardware it reinstalled it self

ok I did ipconfig and I did have a 169.xxx IP
I did the netsch reset
now I have a
IPv4 192.xxx
subnet mask 255.xxx
default gatway 192.xxx

You have made huge progress already. A 192.168.xx.xx IP address is what you should be seeing. The default gateway is the Motorola DSL router. Does your DSL connection require a user name and password or is it set up to use DHCP? (Ask your ISP if you don't know)

Open the command prompt and type: ping -n 10 www.google.com

Post the results here please.

#6 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2009 - 06:51 PM

Is the default gateway is 192.168.1.254 ?

What happens when you open a browser?

When you say you tested the cable on another PC, did you plug it into the same modem/router?

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#7 mikea_304

mikea_304
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2009 - 05:43 PM

ok sorry again for wait

wired connections do not need a pass word on my network

ping -n 10 www.google.com results
" ping request could not find host www.google.com please check the name and try again

Ip config says I have no default gateway

when a browser is opened it says IE cannot display the webpage

to test the cable I connected it on a different wired desktop and the same modem and I was able to connect without a problem

#8 mikea_304

mikea_304
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2009 - 10:12 PM

closing thread
I decided to reload vista on a maxtor drive
transfer files from sata drive to maxtor
format sata
load vista into sata
transfer files from maxtor to sata
sounds great on paper but running into problems
want to follow this journey of computer epic failures?
click here for new thread
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/280629/trying-to-do-a-fresh-install-of-vista/

#9 mikea_304

mikea_304
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2009 - 10:15 PM

cant figure out how to close thread >_<
can a mod take care of that for me
thanks

#10 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2009 - 12:33 PM

It wasn't a month of try this or try that, it was a week or more between your responses just to get info from you. But that's neither here nor there now, good luck on the Vista reload.

#11 mikea_304

mikea_304
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2009 - 12:45 AM

It wasn't a month of try this or try that, it was a week or more between your responses just to get info from you. But that's neither here nor there now, good luck on the Vista reload.

I didnt mean it like it sounds
I apreciate every second that everyone spent to help me dont get me wrong

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users