Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

When Installing

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Chanteress

Chanteress

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 AM

Posted 17 November 2009 - 03:27 PM

In the not so long ago, Nvidia recommended disabling antivirus apps before installing display drivers. Could the same apply when installing Outpost Firewall Pro. The first time I did, I had Microsoft Security Essentials installed and my PC crashed. Second time was with Avira installed. (not both AV's at the same time). I got a 'pop-up' that outpost had caused it and asked to send a report (I did). I contacted Agnitum and sent the 'minidump' file. They sent me a registry patch, when I installed it, I again got Bsod after rebooting. :huh:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 doinmeedin

doinmeedin

• Members
  • 455 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2009 - 04:27 PM

Its not very good practice to diable Av's or FW's to download anything only in extreme circumstances, you should always try and find a work around if you can !

If life is not an option then why are we not given the option in the first place !

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 AM

Posted 17 November 2009 - 05:11 PM

I normally download to my Desktop then disconnect from the net
Then I shut down all running programs including AV and firewall , then install from there
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 Chanteress

Chanteress
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2009 - 08:53 PM

I normally download to my Desktop then disconnect from the net
Then I shut down all running programs including AV and firewall , then install from there

Thats my method, but did not disconnect nor disable AV. It was a firewall (Outpost) I was installing, it auto shuts-down windows FW.
What I want to know:- was it my AV that caused the BSOD. That said, after recovering from BSOD my PC is running sweetly and am adverse in trying it. :huh:

Edited by Chanteress, 17 November 2009 - 08:55 PM.

#5 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 AM

Posted 17 November 2009 - 10:01 PM

Outpost has built in anti-spyware, so you might want to disable that component before installing MS Security Essentials.

In my personal experience I always install Outpost first and later Avira or avast!. During setup of anti-virus, Outpost always warns that they have known to cause problems so Outpost puts them in exclusion list automatically.

#6 Chanteress

Chanteress
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2009 - 11:06 AM

Outpost has built in anti-spyware, so you might want to disable that component before installing MS Security Essentials.
I never use Outpost anti-spyware as it fails to open too many files.
In my personal experience I always install Outpost first and later Avira or avast!. During setup of anti-virus, Outpost always warns that they have known to cause problems so Outpost puts them in exclusion list automatically.

My theory was when doing a clean install, add an AV program and leave windows FW as its ample when doing all updates, then install Outpost. If AV is Avira it warns of incompatibility. If its MSE it does not. I always add 'web control' as its the best IMHO. :huh:
p.s.
I replied earlier but a maintainance program was being done and everything was lost when submitting post. :huh:

Edited by Chanteress, 18 November 2009 - 11:07 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users