Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Upgrading in Relation to Recognized RAM

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 maki2012

maki2012

• Members
  • 171 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 PM

Posted 17 November 2009 - 02:13 PM

I recently participated in Toshiba's free Win 7 upgrade, with the order still pending confirmation. The problem is, I'm not putting it on my laptop, but rather my desktop. I anticipate no problems unless Toshiba is really p/o'ed at the world and decides to send a non retail/OEM version of 7. I'm upgrading my comp for the latest release of MW2 and am currently using Linux Ubuntu 9.04.

My processor, RAM, and mobo aren't changing, so I decided to post my problem here.
Original comp: HP a6700f. Just look it up on NewEgg if you need to know more.
x64 bit processor (AMD Phenom X4 @ 1.8)
1 x 4 GB Ram Sticks, available 0/4 slots left on my mobo
Upping my vid card to a 512MB, 896MB, or 1GB Dedicated RAM card, not sure yet an exact one.

http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,699312/...-Duty/Practice/
is the benchmarking table I use, set on 1680 x 1050 res

The scene they benchmarked is one of the more intensive ones, any vid card between the GeForce GTX 260-216/896M and the Radeon HD 4870 512M cards is the one I'll be getting.

All I need to know is with a 32 bit 7 on a 64 bit processor, just how much RAM will be utilized. I've heard 2.8-3.2, up to 2 RAM slots, etc.

Just a nice strait answer would be nice, how much RAM and how much VRAM will be available to me?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_SteinPooch_*

Guest_SteinPooch_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 21 November 2009 - 01:53 PM

Windblows (ahem, Windows) 7 requires 2GB of Ram to run. You're good to go, except Toshiba will be shipping you an UPGRADE disk for your Toshiba laptop, meaning it's gonna look for certain Toshiba things that will ONLY BE PRESENT on your laptop.

#3 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2009 - 02:00 PM

Win7 will run on less RAM. How well it runs also depends on the vers. you are running as well as what else you try to run with it.

ULT.RC is running well on my test box with a single core processor and 1Gig of RAM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users