Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP computer won't connect to internet

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Larricus

Larricus

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 AM

Posted 17 November 2009 - 12:57 PM

Hey guys.

I just bought a USED computer with windows XP and I cannot get it to connect to the internet.

The computer is an HP that I think used to be a server or a workstation.
It has two xenon processors, each with 3.4 GHz speeds; it has roughly 4 GBytes ram; roughly 70 GBytes hard drive; at least half dozen usb ports; and another half dozen ports for other devices that I am not familiar with at the moment. I HAVE TWO NIC's configured, 1394 and Intel Pro and BOTH say they are connected as well as firewalled.

When I try to connect using IE 8, I get the "you can't connect" message.

The lights from the intel pro NIC show flashing green and solid yellow.

My provider says my modem shows no packet loss and a good connection.

I have changed the rj45 cable running from my modem to my computer without any change. I even tried both types, crossover and straight.

I am basically pulling my hair out -I am at work so I will only respond to suggestions once a day but if anybody can help I would appreciate it enormously.

BY the BY, I am a nubie.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 AM

Posted 17 November 2009 - 02:51 PM

So you've looked in Device manager under Network adapters and you've seen these things. 1394 = firewire. Altho it shows as a NIC, its not really.

I am willing to bet this was someone's server and they set the machine to have a static IP address. If you go into Network connections and look for Local Area Connection, right click on it and click properties. In the list of things look for and click on Internet Protocol(TCP/IP). Below the list click on Properties. If the dot is not beside "Obtain an IP address auto..." then put it there and click OK twice. If it was there already still click OK twice.

Click Stat -> Run - type CMD and hit Enter -> in the box that comes up type ipconfig /release and hit enter -> type ipconfig /renew. If there is no error, open IE and try to surf. If you get an error with the release/renew post it please or if no error and still can't surf please post.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 Larricus

Larricus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2009 - 02:58 PM

Before I added my headache for all to witness I did a bit of reading on this site. I kind of hoped you would take pity on me and, well , thank you.I'll get back to you tomorrow with what you've requested and I'll get back to you tonight if all goes well.

#4 Larricus

Larricus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2009 - 08:21 PM

This message is for CaveDweller2 who I am very happy to say is the KING OF NETWORKING. Needless to say, your suggestion was right on the button; the tcip/internet protocol was set for static ip with a set address.

Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you.

HAIL TO THE KING!

#5 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 AM

Posted 17 November 2009 - 10:41 PM

LOL I dunno about that but I am glad it was something simple and I could help =)

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users