Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trouble reinstalling windows

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 goalie7960

goalie7960

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 PM

Posted 17 November 2009 - 10:55 AM

The guys over at the Malware removal forums told me to post over here for help reinstalling windows. I guess I have some malware that can't be safely removed. Here's a link to the topic: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/top...ml#entry1501848.

Basically when I try to launch XP recovery console, or boot to my windows CD, I get BSOD. Help please.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 PM

Posted 17 November 2009 - 11:24 AM

Hi :thumbsup:.

"Though the backdoor has been identified and can be killed, because of it's backdoor functionality, your PC is very likely compromised and there is no way to be sure your computer can ever again be trusted. It is dangerous and incorrect to assume the computer is secure even if the malware appears to have been removed. Many experts in the security community believe that once infected with such a piece of malware, the best course of action would be a reformat and clean reinstall of the OS. This is something I don't like to recommend normally, but in most cases it is the best solution for your safety."

Quote by htv8, HJT Forum.

The first thing you need to do is delete your current install...the Recovery Console is not an option, as I read things, so I really don't know why you tried to access it. What is suggested is known as a clean install.

System manufacturer and model?

Do you have a Microsoft Genuine XP CD...or do you have restore/recovery CDs provided by the manufacturer of your system?

References, please read and ask (now) any questions you may have:

XP Clean Install, Stevens - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html

Clean Install Procedure with Illustrative Screen Captures - http://www.theeldergeek.com/xp_home_install_-_graphic.htm

Do not elect to do a quick format when asked, do the regular format, Differences between a Quick format and a regular format during a clean installation of Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/302686

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 17 November 2009 - 11:26 AM.

#3 goalie7960

goalie7960
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2009 - 07:21 PM

I have done many clean installs of XP in the past before. What is hindering me here is the BSOD. I tried the recovery console to see if I could get anything to work while I was booting up.

System: Dell Dimension 9150.

I do have a geniune XP SP1 cd that I can use to install.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2009 - 08:08 PM

In that case...change the BIOS boot options to CD, then boot from the CD.

What is the BSOD message that occurs?

The only things that can possibly prompt a BSOD at that point...would be an inability by the optical drive to read the CD...a bad optical drive...or a bad hard drive, assuming that there is nothing wrong with other components.

BSODs are often sparked by drivers which load when booting into Windows. We are not doing that, so please post the exact content of any error message.

Louis

#5 goalie7960

goalie7960
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2009 - 08:13 PM

Ok I am able to boot with the CD, and it goes to the blue Windows Setup screen. Proceeds to load a bunch of stuff from the CD.

BSOD stop code: 0x0000007E. Then it complains about pci.sys and gives a bunch more addresses.

I did add a second hard drive about a year ago, and I don't think I've been able to/tried to format since then.

#6 goalie7960

goalie7960
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2009 - 08:20 PM

Ok I am able to boot with the CD, and it goes to the blue Windows Setup screen. Proceeds to load a bunch of stuff from the CD.

BSOD stop code: 0x0000007E. Then it complains about pci.sys and gives a bunch more addresses.

I did add a second hard drive about a year ago, and I don't think I've been able to/tried to format since then.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2009 - 08:39 PM

Please temporarily disconnect...all drives other than the one you intend to install XP on...this includes external and flash drives.

Having additional drives attached adds nothing to the install effort and, on occasion, can sidetrack install efforts.

If you have a Microsoft OEM/System Builder version of XP on that CD...it expects to find one hard drive attached.

Louis

You might also clean your CD with plain water and a soft cotton cloth, rubbing in vertical/horizontal strokes (non-circular motion).

Edited by hamluis, 17 November 2009 - 08:40 PM.

#8 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 AM

Posted 18 November 2009 - 05:21 PM

I think that the Dell Dimension 9150 has a SATA hard drive. In which case you need to wait until you see "Press F6 if you need to install a third party SCSI or RAID driver" on the bottom of the screen. Then you press F6 and load the SATA driver.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#9 goalie7960

goalie7960
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2009 - 12:36 PM

Ok I have disconnected my extra drive. No luck. Cleaning the CD seems to do nothing either.

I did push F6 when installing, but nothing seemed to happen.

#10 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2009 - 12:27 AM

Have you tried reinstalling Windows with the original Dell CD?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#11 goalie7960

goalie7960
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2009 - 10:48 AM

Yes. I'm at my wits end.

#12 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2009 - 05:56 PM

Just so I understand - you tried two different disks?

(1) a Microsoft XP CD
(2) the Dell XP CD

—George Bernard Shaw

#13 goalie7960

goalie7960
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2009 - 07:36 PM

Just so I understand - you tried two different disks?

(1) a Microsoft XP CD
(2) the Dell XP CD

Yes. Problem is they're both SP1 Discs. (I think).

I followed the instructions in this link http://www.theeldergeek.com/slipstreamed_xpsp2_cd.htm and I got further into the windows setup. However when I try to actually enter the setup, it tells me that it could not find any hard disk drives installed in my computer. And it tells me setup cannot continue. I know I have a hard drive.

I know you can push F6 to install the proper drivers before this point, but I can't figure out where those would be. I'll have to dig around to find them.

At least I feel a tad bit closer.

#14 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2009 - 07:38 PM

I would have thought that the Dell CD that came with the computer would have the correct drivers on it.

Have you modified the hardware on the computer since it was purchased?

—George Bernard Shaw

#15 goalie7960

goalie7960
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2009 - 09:24 AM

Yeah I added a second hard drive. And everything related to that seems to be working fine. Maybe disconnecting it during this process would help?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users