Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Combofix - Can I run it in Safe Mode w/networking?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 turleypd

turleypd

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 PM

Posted 17 November 2009 - 10:11 AM

I have the Advanced Virus Repair malware on my computer. When I allow the comp to boot up "normally", all I get is a blue screen...no icons, not taskbar, etc. I can pull up Task Manager and then use the "run/browse" option to get to the desktop, but when I click on or open the Combofix executable, it doesn't run. Is it safe to run it from Safe Mode with Networking? I have disabled my AT&T Internet Security Suite using Task Manager/run "msconfig"/Start.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,796 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 PM

Posted 17 November 2009 - 11:18 AM

ComboFix (CF for short) is intended by its creator to be "used under the guidance and supervision of an expert", NOT for private use. Please read Combofix's Disclaimer. When CF is run without trained assistance, it can no longer be considered a "safe" tool. Using this tool incorrectly could lead to disastrous problems with your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again.

animinionsmalltext.gif
If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!

#3 turleypd

turleypd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 PM

Posted 17 November 2009 - 05:20 PM

I understand the directions concerning ComboFix... The problems I described happened before I downloaded this program. A friend of my granddaughter's (both teenagers) asked to use the computer and managed to download this thing. Any other person in my house knows better than to do something like that.

I had also consulted the "Tutorial" provided on this website as the program was recommended to me by my son, a computer tech, who lives over 600 miles away. Admittedly, I only have a B.S. in Computer Science, so there's a lot I don't know, but I do know my way around a command line. I asked a simple question and didn't expect to be derided for my lack of experience/knowledge. The last time I took a computer to a local repair shop (for a software problem), they fried the motherboard...not too many people you can trust to work on a computer these days.

The Application Management Service appears to be corrupted and I can't start it, so that may be all or part of the reason that neither ComboFix nor Malwarebytes will run.

Anyway, thanks for the assistance (not).

#4 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,796 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 PM

Posted 17 November 2009 - 10:12 PM

Hi turleypd.

The response was not intended to deride or insult you. While we welcome users of all experience levels here at BC, the forums here are aimed primarily toward helping new and inexperienced users. The warning was posted for the benefit and protection of both you and others who may read this thread.

Unfortunately the author of the tool does not want information on how Combofix works on public forums. This is in order to safeguard and protect the integrity of the tool from malware writers. As such, the developer does not want his tool discussed outside of private forums and therefore we cannot answer specific questions. That's the decision by the creator and we will abide by that decision.

The only public information that is available can be found at this guide:

How to use ComboFix

I'm sorry that I cannot provide you with a more useful answer.

~Blade

animinionsmalltext.gif
If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!

#5 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 PM

Posted 17 November 2009 - 11:03 PM

I will echo what BZ said... The warning isn't to offend you in anyway. It is to warn you about ComboFix's power and its ability to crash your system without hope of a recover if proper steps aren't followed. If you wish to use the program, and would like assistance from a trained tech, I would suggest posting a log in the Advanced Malware/HJT forum. Please follow this guide from step (6). Post a DDS log to the HJT forum and a Team member will be along to help you as soon as possible. One word about the HJt forum... Those volunteers are extremely busy. It my take up to 1.5 weeks for a response.

If you need any help with the guide, please let me know.

If you want to see what we can find in this forum, we can take a look with a few of our tools here. If this is our path, let's get started with this procedure:

:trumpet: Please download TFC by Old Timer and save it to your desktop.
alternate download link
  • Save any unsaved work. TFC will close ALL open programs including your browser!
  • Double-click on TFC.exe to run it. If you are using Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator.
  • Click the Start button to begin the cleaning process and let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Important! If TFC prompts you to reboot, please do so immediately. If not prompted, manually reboot the machine anyway to ensure a complete clean.
:flowers: Please download RKill by Grinler

Link #1
Link #2
Link #3
Link #4

• Before we begin, you should disable your anti-malware softwares you have installed so they do not interfere RKill running as some anti-malware softwares detect RKill as malicious. Please refer to this page if you are not sure how.
  • Download Link #1.
  • Save it to your Desktop.
  • Double click the RKill desktop icon.
    If you are using Vista please right click and run as Admin!
  • A black screen will briefly flash indicating a successful run.
  • If this does not occur please delete that application and download Link #2.
  • Continue process until the tool runs.
  • If the tool does not run from any of the links tell me about it.
:thumbsup: Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.
alternate download link 1
alternate download link 2
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.
  • If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself.
  • Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
  • If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
On the Scanner tab:
  • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
  • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
Back at the main Scanner screen:
  • Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.
Note:
-- If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you may be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process. Regardless if prompted to restart the computer or not, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.

Note 2:
-- MBAM may make changes to your registry as part of its disinfection routine. If you're using other security programs that detect registry changes (like Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere with the fix or alert you after scanning with MBAM. Please disable such programs until disinfection is complete or permit them to allow the changes. To disable these programs, please view this topic: How To Temporarily Disable Your Anti-virus, Firewall And Anti-malware Programs

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users