Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox 3.5.5 making CPU and Memory usage spike

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 metman07

metman07

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 17 November 2009 - 12:17 AM

I am running Windows XP SP2. I use Firefox 3.5.5 exclusively. It has lately been making the CPU and Memory using spike and flux. This slows my pc and also makes my cpu fan run CRAZY. I see I have multiple instances of svchost.exe and I am thinking that isn't right or good either. Also KIS's exe process, avp.exe, seems to run high also at times. I am not sure if any of these other problems have to do with the main problem but I figured I should mention all errors.

I scan my pc with MBAM and KIS often. No malware, spyware, or viruses found. I use Optimum online, a cable internet service. I have a old HP model desktop with a AMD 2600+ pros, 2 gbs of ram, and a western digi 100 GB HDD.

Thanks for any help you maybe able to give me, Metman.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 metman07

metman07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2009 - 12:28 AM

I don't get it and don't get me wrong but I contribute on this forum when I can and I expect some help from time to time in return. Lately I post, people view the post, BUT NO ONE WANTS TO HELP??? I don't get it, I used to come on here and get so much help with my computing and computers was trying to fix but now NOTHING. Come on people...

#3 tigron

tigron

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2009 - 11:08 PM

I found some information about changing a few things in the config section of firefox. PUt about:config in your browser and search on cache. This should pull up all entries with the word cache. Look for browser.cache.disk.capacity and change to 16384. Look for browser.cache.memory.enable and change this to false. I would also get the add-on Flashblock as most of my issues came from flash pages. If this doesn't resolve it dramatically there is also another setting that forces FF to release memory on minimize that I can dig up for you.

Hope this helps.

#4 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 AM

Posted 27 November 2009 - 01:34 PM

Free up memory on minimize tweak: http://www.solo-technology.com/blog/2005/1...tweak-free-mem/
Bare in mind it is almost 4 years old so it may not even work with current versions of FF

#5 Computer Pro

Computer Pro

• Members
  • 2,448 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2009 - 06:42 PM

First, I highly recommend that you first upgrade to Windows XP SP3 for security reasons. Second, I would switch to Internet Explorer 8 as it is more secure than Firefox.
Computer Pro

#6 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2009 - 08:08 PM

IE is a fail in my opinion, Firefox and Opera are both better browsers than IE. Some of the add ons for firefox (i.e NoScript and Adblock Plus) add a lot of security to it over IE. [End opinion]

#7 Computer Pro

Computer Pro

• Members
  • 2,448 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2009 - 08:25 PM

They may add some security, but IE's SmartScreen Filter blocked out 80% of sites tested. Firefox only blocked 30%. You call that less secure?
Computer Pro

#8 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2009 - 08:40 PM

Source?
And if you practice safe browsing, have a working AV and firewall, Firefox and Opera are both more customizable than IE and should all in all be a better choice.

Edited by xblindx, 27 November 2009 - 08:41 PM.

#9 Computer Pro

Computer Pro

• Members
  • 2,448 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2009 - 08:49 PM

Source? Even a non Microsoft testing company says so:

NSS Labs
Computer Pro

#10 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2009 - 11:20 AM

Hmm, good read. Slightly outdated but the results are probably still around the same. I've never liked IE though, so my opinions are biased I must admit. I will continue to use FF, and as long as you are a smart browser, and get some secure add ons, you should be fine. IE or FF, both are quite secure, but it seems as if I was wrong and IE > FF in the security department.

#11 Computer Pro

Computer Pro

• Members
  • 2,448 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2009 - 03:50 PM

I must admit that my opinions are also biased, but I mean what can you say? Everyones got their favorites you know?
Computer Pro

#12 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2009 - 04:09 PM

^^ I agree :thumbsup:

#13 metman07

metman07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2009 - 12:17 AM

Thanks for the help guys. MUCH APPRECIATED

#14 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2009 - 07:39 PM

Happy to help :thumbsup:

#15 Computer Pro

Computer Pro

• Members
  • 2,448 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2009 - 09:14 PM

Your very welcome. May I also suggest to you to run Windows Update as Windows XP SP2 is outdated and vulnerable to security attacks. Make sure that you apply all patches that Windows Updates suggests, and keep visiting there until there are 0 recommended updates.
Computer Pro

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users