Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

W32.Gaobot.SN

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 barbs

barbs

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 PM

Posted 07 August 2005 - 03:45 PM

This isn't actually for me, but a friend found this worm on his computer (W32.Gaobot.SN) and he needs help in removing it.

I gave him four program's:
- Webroot Spy Sweeper
- Adware Away
- Stinger
- Spybot Search and Destroy

He said that it hasn't taken the worm away, but it hasn't worsened. Can anyone point me in the direction of a program of some sort to remove this worm? It would be much appreciated :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,522 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 PM

Posted 08 August 2005 - 03:08 PM

Hi barbs,

I don't see any mention of a resident antivirus (AV). With the exception of Stinger, those tools aren't designed for removal of worms.

If there is a resident AV installed, update it and then boot the computer into Safe Mode and run it. You can also run those other programs in safe mode to prevent the malware from interfering with any cleanup.

If no AV is installed, I recomend that one be obtained right away. Here are some good free ones:

Antivir
Avast Free
AVG Free
Bitdefender Free

Install and run one of these in safe mode also if needed. Only one, more than one installed AV can cause problems

Follow up with free online virus scans for what may have possibley been missed.

eTrust Antivirus Web Scanner
TrendMicro's HouseCall
Panda ActiveScan
BitDefender

Also, much of today's malware uses trojan technology, and a dedicated anti trojan is highly recommended to insure you have a layered approach to removal and overall security. If the computer in question is running Windows 2000 or XP, the anti trojan Ewido Security Suite (it doesn't have to be purchased to be used effectively) does an excellent job at removing all types of malware. The site also offers a free online scan.

For all Windows platforms, try a-squared Free.

If still having problems after all that, please post a HijackThis log for us to look at and we'll figure out what's going on. Here's how to get a log posted:
---------------
Click on the link below and follow the steps in that tutorial so you can get a log posted:
How to post a HijackThis Log

You can of course skip step 1. But be sure to follow all the other steps and use the links in the tutorial to:

1. Download the self-extracting HijackThis.
2. Open the HijackThis Logs and Analysis forum to start a new Topic in that forum. It is important that you post your log into a new topic in that forum. If you have any problems here is a link again:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...?act=SF&s=&f=22

It may be a day or two before you get an answer. But it is also important that you not post again to the topic you started asking for help or wondering if you will get help or otherwise "bumping" your thread/topic. In order to work on a first come-first served basis, helpers look for the oldest topics with zero replies.

BUT, once you receive a reply, stay in the topic that you have started. Do not start another thread.
--------------------------------------

Good luck and let us know how you get on. :thumbsup:

The fate of all mankind, I see

Is in the hands of fools

--King Crimson

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users