Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Ghost" Backup will this work?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Tweener

Tweener

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 AM

Posted 07 August 2005 - 02:17 PM

(Originally posted to OS - Windows 98)

I have an HP Pavilion 6553 circa 1998-99. OS is Windows 98SE. The motherboard, sound / modem card and floppy drive are all that are left of the original equipment hardware, so full re-installs are a pain, not to mention the data loss. I recently added a slave drive with the same specs as my master (size, cylinders, sectors, heads, etc.). This drive is used for backup only, and never written to from the system. This is my backup strategy and I'd like to know if it will work when needed.

First I defragment my master (C:) drive, then I do a full format on the slave (D:) drive from My Computer right-click menu, giving it the label "Backup". (This is just for reference on the next step.) I then re-boot to MSDos mode and run Partition Saving (www.partition-saving.com) and enter copy mode, selecting the entire C: partition as source and the entire D: partition as destination. At this point I choose to copy only occupied sectors to speed the process. When done, I reboot to Windows and verify that the D: label is now Hp_pavilion (same as C:), then scandisk the D: drive to verify no errors.

In the event of a failure or $#%&@! infection, I plan to swap master and slave, which should only take about 20 minutes, then I can start the backup process again with the physical drives in reversed roles. Is this a sound plan?
There are 10 kinds of people, those that understand binary - and those that don't.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 junkdk

junkdk

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 AM

Posted 09 August 2005 - 02:37 AM

Dear Tweener,

I not quite sure it will work for several reasons.

First, you can not have two command hard drives in the Windows OS. At least not that I know.

Second, having a backup drive is common and these days prudent but doing what you want to do is overkill.

They have programs that will setup your second drive as a backup and you can set it up to do back ups at a regular interval. Having Win 98 makes you less venerable to hacking but they make programs for you as well.

Now if you are like me and want to keep your information secure, I go external drives. Hell, I have an complete external computer. I let it get the needed stuff at the beginning but never plug it into the Internet again. It works like a charm.

I hope I answered your question.

Let me know,

junkdk :thumbsup:
Your Hardware Guide.

#3 Tweener

Tweener
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 AM

Posted 10 August 2005 - 04:25 AM

So far it IS working, I just have to test the bootability of the second drive after it's physically switched on the cable to the C: position. I've researched this on the 'net to some extent, and I don't believe I'd call it overkill. There are concerns about some backup programs not preserving long file names and screwing up the registry. The extra hard drive came from a computer with a ruined motherboard and other hardware so it was of no extra cost, ditto the freeware program to mirror to it. I'll post final here and in the Win98 forum this weekend after I've had time to try the switch and see how it goes. :thumbsup:
There are 10 kinds of people, those that understand binary - and those that don't.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users