Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP Graphics Problem (virus???)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 tpot97

tpot97

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 PM

Posted 16 November 2009 - 07:51 PM

I believe I have some sort of infiltration to my computer which runs on Windows XP. A few days ago (6 to be precise), my screen saver appeared as scheduled, but became extremely distorted. Its the standard "acquarium" variety. My system basically froze, forcing a hard reboot. Upon restart, the low-res graphic showing Windows XP with the black screen had several dashed vertical blue lines through it. After the screen changed and my desktop loaded somewhat normally, except for several application icons which were "blacked out", completely missing or had faint horizontal lines through them (this did not happen to everything). Further, my mouse pointer also had several faint black horizontal lines in the background (but only when the arrow was showing. Sensing a problem, I ran a virus scan with McAfee and found nothing. I went to the control panel and checked the screen savers and the distortion appeared in the screen saver preview. I installed a newer version of McAfee, scanned and found nothing. I began searching online for possible "graphics" related viruses. One thing I saw mentioned to turn off the system restore and rerun the antivirus package. I did this with no results.

One other thing that was happening during this time was the system kept prompting me to install updates to different programs (programs included Adobe Acrobat, Java, HP scanning and Windows). As a test, I actually went to install the Java update and I immediately received a virus warning. Because of this, I turned off Java updates and Windows updates. When I turned off Windows updates, I had a red shield appear in my tray and my McAfee tray icon now has a yellow exclamation point. McAfee says I am at risk and when I try to fix my protection, windows autoupdates are restored.

I still have the icon problems mentioned earlier (even some of the icons on my explorer toolbar are blacked out). I still see distortion on the low-res windows screen when I reboot. If I leave my computer for a long enough time, the screen will freeze, then restore as a very low-res version and force me to reboot. I have installed MBAM and SPYBOT which have found issues, but have not corrected the problems after rebooting upon removal. Also, everytime I reboot, McAfee shows as a newly installed program. Finally, I have not reactivated the system restore or Windows Automatic Updates features. In short, I feel I am back at square one with no real solutions available.

Does this crude discription sound familiar to anyone?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 PM

Posted 16 November 2009 - 07:59 PM

From what you are describing, it sounds as if your video card has overheated and is now running in a very low resolution which can be taken care of by replacing your video card.

Before changing out any hardware on your computer can you give us a little more information about your computer?

Manufacturer, model, operating system.
Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#3 tpot97

tpot97
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 PM

Posted 17 November 2009 - 05:48 AM

I have a Sony Vaio running Windows XP. Graphics state ATI Radeon X300 128MB.

As an example of what is going on, in this window the only current evidence of distortion is the mouse pointer (the finger and the arrow, when the text pointer is up, there is no distortion). This is completely different from yesterday where several toolbar icons were blacked out. The screen saver preview issue still exists. There are only three icons affected on my desktop. Does a bad video card sometimes get "better"?

#4 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 PM

Posted 17 November 2009 - 08:39 AM

The only way that a video card "gets better" is it cools down a bit.

My only other suggestion before pulling the video card for another one would be to see if you have the most up to date drivers installed.
Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users