Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Vista wireless connection

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 UZU309

UZU309

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 PM

Posted 16 November 2009 - 06:36 PM

Hello, I have a problem with Vista and it's not connecting to my school's network. I received the laptop from my university and they set it up so that only the university laptops can connect to the schools wireless network. The laptop came with XP, but I partitioned the drive to run with Vista. Now my problem is that when I use the XP partition, I can connect to my schools wireless network. However if I use the Vista partition I won't be able to connect to my school's wireless network. Is there anyway that I could transfer the settings from XP over to Vista somehow? Thankx

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 PM

Posted 16 November 2009 - 06:57 PM

At first glance, I thought maybe your school was using a MAC list of "allowed" computers.

After reading closer, it sounds like they may be using a certificate.

Do you know what kind of setup they may be using?

Will they tell you?
Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#3 UZU309

UZU309
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 PM

Posted 17 November 2009 - 10:21 AM

I don't think they would tell me only because as students we're not allowed to have Vista running on our laptops. (I did it anyway only because my XP had malware a t the time and I didn't have any other cpu to use at the time)

#4 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 PM

Posted 17 November 2009 - 10:50 AM

If the university does not want you running Windows Vista, then I'm sure they have a good reason. With that said, what you are asking would be in direct violation of one of the forum guidelines. That guideline is as follows:

No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures. If a user persists and/or the activity is obviously illegal the staff reserves the right to remove such content and/or ban the user. This would also mean encouraging the use or continued use of pirated software is not permitted, and subject to the same consequences.

If you are having troubles with Spyware/Malware and the like on your Windows Xp partition, then I'm sure we would be able to help you with that in one of the forums designed for that. You may want to read this post by Animal, one of the site admins, about where to post your logs if you have any.

I hope this helps you get your Windows XP Partition taken care of and I would suggest removing Windows Vista from the laptop if the university does not want it on their network.
Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users