Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can hard drive with Manufacturer OS boot elsewhere

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Nigelajodha

Nigelajodha

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 PM

Posted 16 November 2009 - 05:41 PM

Hi,
I care things, and I have an original Micron Client Pro PIII with a failed, obosolete motherboard. The drive is good with all my programs and settings. It would not boot in any other machine. Is it possible to ever achieve this? Due to the BIOS settings, it looks for Micron credentials. I would luv to restore this. Especially as Micron itself has gone out of business

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 PM

Posted 17 November 2009 - 01:02 PM

Swapping hard drive with OS already installed
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html
Not a simple task
You can slave the drive to another computer to get your data, programs are another can of worms
Check out our Freeware Replacements for Commercial Applications thread
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Nigelajodha

Nigelajodha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2009 - 09:10 PM

I dont like the sound of that reply. Am I doing something illegal ...again?
I have a receipt for the PC and the drive is the original. Its just that the processor failed. and it has a locked bios from a manufacturer who is out of business. It has an Easton Motherboard which is also obsolete.
Due to the locked bios I am unable to use it on any other MB cause it looks for Micron credentials. Is there any way to allow that drive to boot normal on another MB?

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2009 - 05:22 PM

Illegal no, but if you read the article I gave you, you will see that the hard drive has all of the drivers and settings from the old motherboard
Putting it in another computer,which obviously has different drivers, will be a chore and probably not work correctly
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#5 Nigelajodha

Nigelajodha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2009 - 07:57 PM

Thanks. While waiting for help I started looking online for MPC and got the bad news. However there is a volunteer site up run by past employees of Micron to assist us where possible. I'll try that. I am closing this thread but have another one just happen. Thanks

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2009 - 11:28 PM

Good luck. Let us know how things turn out
Mark
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users