Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BOOTING windows xp FROM USB PEN drive...!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 sunandoghosh

sunandoghosh

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 PM

Posted 07 August 2005 - 12:20 PM

BOOTING windows xp FROM USB PEN drive...!!!

Hi gurus and dear friends,

I had this question in my mind form last so so many days...

Q1. Can we boot our desktop or laptop computer from USB Pen drive of say 512 MB or 1 GB...?????

Q2. If yes can we use installed programs and applications on hard disk of our desktop or laptop after booting from pen drive...????? Also how do we prepare pen drive so that its bootable...????

Q3. In case of laptop is it possible that through EXTERNAL hard disk (which has SAY windows xp installed meaning thereby that such external hard disk is bootable) connected to laptop via USB port be used to boot laptop instead of laptop's internal hard disk being used for booting...???????

Q4. A computer (be it laptop or desktop) say

a. has two partition C: and D:.
b. Say the OS windows xp is loaded / installed on both partitions.
c. say now that yahoo messenger is installed on c: only...

Now can I access yahoo messenger program if i boot from D:...??????????????

What if C: has data instead of installed yahoo mess prog...IN that case can i access such data on C: if i boot from D:...????????????????????
Please take your time and then reply only if you are sure as I am myself a lot confused about all four questions raised above....so please take your time and then only reply...

I know the above four questions are NOT easy to answer and only a geek would be in the best position to answer this as normal general users like me normally feel lost....

I would really really appreciate a true geek and tech saavy techie to jump in and answer in an understandable simple way to issues raised above...

Thanks as always for your time, patience and effort and its genuinely greatly appreciated...

Warmest regards

sunando

sunandoghosh (at) rediffmail (dot) com

p.s. if anyone would ike to add anything which i might have missed...you are more than welcome....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 windowsxp550

windowsxp550

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 PM

Posted 07 August 2005 - 02:22 PM

Q1. Can we boot our desktop or laptop computer from USB Pen drive of say 512 MB or 1 GB...?????

This is dependent on your motherboard. The way you can check, is to go into your BIOS (when you start your computer, you have to tap a key desginated by your motherboard to get into BIOS). For my system I have to tap the DELETE key, but yours could be F1, F2, DELETE, ESC, F12 (those are the common ones anyhow).

If you don't know which key for sure, just tap all of them while you are booting....

Once you see the BLUE Screen you are in your BIOS. Use the Arrow keys (your mouse won't work in here) and arrow over to where you have your startup devices (typically it will say 1st Startup device, 2nd startup device and so on.) Select one and hit Enter, and a list should pop up allowing you to change the device. Look in that list for USB-HDD or something similar with USB in the name.

if you don't see it, then your motherboard is not able to boot to a USB Device...

Hope that helps
Free PC Help: At FixMyXP.com, our Speciality is Windows XP.
Got An XP Problem or Question? Get expert help, all free Check it out!
Click Here to go to FixMyXP's Windows XP Help Forum

#3 g52ultra

g52ultra

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 PM

Posted 16 August 2005 - 12:52 AM

wish i could find the link again but a while back, I read a story about somebody who "built" an XPOS system using LiteXP, and ran it on a CF Card.. perhaps some serious google-ing might come up with it.
Anybody know where John Titors's '66 Vette is (or was, or will be)?

#4 cooldudenz

cooldudenz

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 PM

Posted 16 August 2005 - 04:41 AM

yea im pretty sure you can boot off a USB pen drive, just as long as its the first device it trys to boot off, eg usally it will try A: drive, then C: or something like that, I think its just like setting up a boot disk, or i think you might be able to install windows xp itsself on the pen drive, give it a go anyway you have nothing to loose.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users