Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing Vista on a Different Hard Drive (Switching main drive?)

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Kazm87

Kazm87

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 PM

Posted 16 November 2009 - 05:35 PM

I'm currently running Windows Vista 64 bit. My hard drive setup is as follows:

C: 70 GB Raptor 1. (The OS drive... System Boot, Page Files, Programs, etc.)
D: 70 GB Raptor 2. (Music, Photos, a few programs.)
E: 500 GB HDD 1. (Empty)
F: 500 GB HDD 2. (Empty)

I would like to do the following...

C: 500 GB HDD 1: (OS drive... System Boot, Pages Files, Programs, etc.)
D: 500 GB HDD 2: (Extra storage)
E: 70 GB Raptor 1: (Music Files)
F: 70 GB Raptor 2: (Picture Files)

What I'd like to do is make one of the 500 GB HDDs the C drive, and reinstall my Vista onto it, and reformat the 70 GB Raptor that my OS is currently on. I've backed everything up that I need to, and I've said my goodbyes to anything I can stand to lose. I just need to know what steps I would need to take to be able to accomplish this. If anyone could help me with that, it'd be much appreciated.

ADD: Just to clarify, I DO have the original OEM disc of the version of Vista that is installed on this comp.
ADD: Also, they are SATA drives.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 PM

Posted 16 November 2009 - 09:03 PM

FWIW: Making a 500GB drive your boot/system partition...does not seem very wise to me.

The easiest way, IMO....

a. Temporarily disconnect all hard drives, exernal drives and flash drive...except for the hard drive on which you intend to install Vista.

b. Leave one optical drive properly connected and working.

c. Change the boot order in the BIOS so that the optical drive is the first device, save the changes (F-10). Insert Vista DVD.

d. Reboot, the install begins. If you really intend to use that large a drive, I suggest that you limit the size of the C: partition to be created to something more reasonable (30-40GB, max).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users