Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Kaspersky AV scanner

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 chayisun

chayisun

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 AM

Posted 16 November 2009 - 04:23 PM

Turned on computer this morning and tried to access Internet Explorer. VERY slow response so I did the ALT-CTRL-DEL and there was something called
KASPERSKY AV SCANNER running away at 50% and 176,372K. :flowers: Which made it 100%..... :thumbsup:

Have no idea where it came from. Have never heard of it before, didn't download (that is, willingly) it so I contacted my Internet provider. they tell me it's a freeware anti virus program that I should uninstall as it will conflict with their anti-virus program...Only problem is I can't find it on the system at all...

Anyway, now, everytime I restart the computer KASPERSKY starts and runs for a while and then vanishes...I mean, like magic!! It's like a bloody ghost. :trumpet:

Anybody have any idea where it comes from, well, other then Russia, and how to get rid of it? I looked it up on Wikpedia and it seems OK but I don't want the thing....Maybe it's under another name on the system. Possibly somebody out there has had this before?

I'm running Vista home premium, if that helps. Gee, yesterday I downloaded some "critical" updates from Microsoft...Ya don't think it came from THEM?? NAW, couldn't be......

EDIT: moved to a more appropriate forum

Edited by garmanma, 16 November 2009 - 05:16 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 chayisun

chayisun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2009 - 06:37 PM

Well, apparently, this is part of my Internet Provider's package. Found it buried under KAV within their anti-virus program. Apparently, it's been added. Wonderful.
Wish they hadn't. So, no real problem but, in case anyone was going to answer, no need. Thanks for reading it anyway....Cheers....

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,749 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2009 - 07:42 AM

I contacted my Internet provider. they tell me it's a freeware anti virus program that I should uninstall as it will conflict with their anti-virus program

apparently, this is part of my Internet Provider's package. Found it buried under KAV within their anti-virus program

Interesting that they told you to remove a program that came bundled as part of their package which they did not know about. Good thing you investigated more on your own rather than try to remove as they told you too. BTW, Kaspersky is a very good product.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 chayisun

chayisun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2009 - 02:14 PM

Well, I'm back. Forget the previous post....Please..... :thumbsup: Thank you... :trumpet:

I have Windows Vista and had Bell Internet Security Services until yesterday....

For some reason, within the past week, I have had a very slow computer at startup.

So, I tried the old alt/ctrl/del keys to access Task Manager and there , running along at the top of the list, using 50% and 180,000K, which had net effect of 100% of CPU usage,was something called Kaspersky AV Scanner. Never heard of it before.

Kaspersky was nowhere to be found on the computer. Going to control panel/remove program did not find Kaspersky. RegEdit did not find Kaspersky but, after checking Kaspersky site, noted something called KAV......Back to Regedit and entered KAV and there it was embedded in Bell Internet Security Services/KAV and 7 other Bell Internet Services.....

KAV/BIN
KAV/BIN/BASES
KAV/BIN/BASES/PATCHES/
KAV/INSTDRIVERS
KAV/INSTDRIVERS/W2KXP32
KAV/INSTDRIVERS/X32
KAV/INSTDRIVERS/X64

I now noticed that, when I ran the anti-virus program, which was supposed to be Bell's program, the Kaspersky AV Scanner was running......

Anyway, contacted Bell (For the millionth time!) and they suggested I remove their Internet Security Service and re-install, which I did. Seemed like a good idea....However, there, like Dracula, Kaspersky had risen...returned and same old problem. Unfortunately, I have no way to drive a wooden stake through this pain in the neck, as it were.

So I called Bell back and, after two hours of having them take over the computer and check the system, their opinion was it had nothing to do with Bell's Security System and to remove their program and they suggested I use AVG anti-virus program instead.....Which I have done.

However, going back to regedit I note that there are still :

Bell Internet Security Services/KAV
Bell Internet Security Services/KAV/BIN
Bell Internet Security Services/KAVBIN/BASES

After all this my question is simply has anyone else had this show up on any of their Internet Security Services? If so, what was done to rid your computer of this pest...Any information would be greatly appreciated....Any help....Please..... :flowers:

Also, I want to phone Bell back about the three remaining pieces of KAV but I really don't want to go through the explanation for the 16th time.....I just wonder if I can remove them from the registry.....I'm gonna phone them. Yep. I am.

#5 Twin B

Twin B

• Members
  • 266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 AM

Posted 22 November 2009 - 11:50 PM

Instead of beating the bushes looking for someone to tell you something, why not just use Kaspersky's Uninstall Tool? Here's the link, just be sure to read the whole page and all the instructions. If worse comes to worse, their support staff can probably be helpful; after all, this is their baby.

http://usa.kaspersky.com/support/home/208279463/

Edited by Twin B, 22 November 2009 - 11:53 PM.

I've learned blood is not thicker than money. 

#6 chayisun

chayisun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2009 - 10:09 AM

Thanks. Before posting here and, while beating around the bush I did, indeed, contact Kaspersky. They did give me a removal tool but it didn't find anything...No Kaspersky on the computer...Nothing resembling Kaspersky...Nothing. AND, while they were very helpful no solution has been forthcoming.

Apparently, checking further, it has happened to others who use, for instance, ZONEALARM...The KAV has attached itself to that anti-virus program.

That's why I contacted Bell and followed their advice to remove THEIR program which has left some bits and pieces of THEIR program on the computer which includes KAV which Kaspersky removal program COULDN'T find.....I have only asked if anyone else has had this problem.

Anyway, thanks for the reply.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users