Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I see dead drives!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 azfreetech

azfreetech

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 AM

Posted 16 November 2009 - 03:48 PM

Well I was going thru a bunch of hard drives that were sitting on a shelf and wanted to see if any of them were any good. I have Seagate, Western Digital and Maxtor in the bunch. I got the ultimate boot CD and tried running some of the OEM specific tests but couldn't get any of them to work. The Western Digital test which is Data Lifeguard didn't have ANY diagnostics that I was abel to locate. It gave me the options to set up the hard drive and to maintain it but not diagnose it.

None of the other tests gave me anything either. I tried one of the other, independent tests, and it took me 2 hours but I was abel to scan one drive. The only thing this told me was that the SMART test was good. When I connect these drives as slaves, none of them are recognized.

Is there something else I can get to check these drives?
DJ Digital Gem

I gave up on computers and now I just DJ!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• BC Advisor
  • 2,125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 AM

Posted 16 November 2009 - 04:23 PM

Try checking here - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

There are links to each hard drive manufacturers individual testing utilities.

Hope this helps,

Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#3 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 AM

Posted 16 November 2009 - 05:20 PM

Where is it that they are not recognized at? My computer? Device manager? Disk management?

#4 azfreetech

azfreetech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2009 - 09:26 PM

My computer shows no slave drives, just my C drive... Here's what I've been doing.

senario 1: I have my normal main SATA drive connected. I hook up a second SATA drive and go to my computer. Second drive is not listed. Reboot a couple of times and sometimes it will show up.

senario 2: I have my main SATA drive connected and hook up a second IDE drive. Same issue as senario 1.

senario 3: I take a secondary SATA drive and attempt to load WIndows XP on it. It shows that it is loading the files but then when it reboots it doesn't go to the splash screen and install. Instead it gives me an error that says no OS found. I thought maybe the drive was having a problem so I run the OEM (Western Digital) Data Life Guard and it doesn't even offer me the option of a "test"; I just see set up a drive, maintain a drive, partition and information.

I unhook that drive and slap in one of the IDE's and try running a test; drive not found.
DJ Digital Gem

#5 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• BC Advisor
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2009 - 09:35 PM

The tool you're looking for for the western digital drives is on this page. When you get there, look for "Diag504fCD.iso" and click the download button to the right of that file name.

Burn that iso to disk and then connect the "suspected" defective western digital drives to the computer. Put that Disk you just burned in your cd/dvd drive and boot from it. This Western Digital's "WD diag" program.

If there is a problem with the drive this will find it.

What other testing utilities are you looking for? ( seagate, hitachi, maxtor, etc. )

Techextreme

-- Seneca

#6 azfreetech

azfreetech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2009 - 01:02 PM

I have got a couple of Seagate drives and a couple of Maxtor drives as well.
DJ Digital Gem

#7 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• BC Advisor
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2009 - 01:09 PM

Click here. This will take you to the Seagate Seatools page. Click on "Download SeaTools for DOS now!". This will take you to the registration page for Seagate Seatools. Enter your E-mail address and click submit.

The next page will ask you which version you want. Click on "EN" under "ISO CD-ROM Image". This will start the download of your Seatools iso image.

Burn the image to CD and you can then boot your computer from this disk.

*NOTE* Seagate Seatools has replaced Maxtor MaxBlast as Seagate now owns Maxtor.

Hope this helps,

Techextreme

-- Seneca

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users