Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

system restore doesn't create automatic system checkpoints

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 swope1221

swope1221

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 PM

Posted 07 August 2005 - 11:30 AM

Hi everyone, sorry for posting another thread about this, but after doing some digging on my own, I thought it was getting kind of heavy so I put it here in the advance forum. Here is what I have done so far in trying to restore my automatic system checkpoints.

As before, system restore will not create the "system checkpoint" for me at a given time interval. I will list what I have done so far to help diagnose my problem.

I followed all the steps on this link by Bert: http://bertk.mvps.org/html/srauto.html

I typed eventvwr.msc in the run line. Clicked system on the left, then source on the right. I found some events for sr, but these were the ones I did myself when turning off, then back on system restore.

Task scheduler and system restore services are running. I confirmed this by typing cmd, then net start in the run line.

I have the space allowed on my hard drive set to the max, and there are 25 GB free.

I am able to create manual system restore points and they are also created if I install/uninstall a program.

I have reinstalled system restore using the sr.inf file.

I used the "xpsystemrestoreponitsfrequency.vbs" to change my time interval to 1 hour just to see if it worked, but it didn't.

I checked my registry settings for system restore. Disable SR is set to 0. Restore status is set to 1 (I posted that because I thought one means disable in the registry, but I don't know what restore status is)

I do have a screen saver on, my system is set so the hard drive turns off after 1 hour, but never goes into standby or hibernation.

I am not sure what else to do at this point or what to check. If anyone else has suggestions, please let me know. At this point I am frustrated because I can not get this to work. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 windowsxp550

windowsxp550

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 07 August 2005 - 02:15 PM

ok, I have a few more things you can try...

First go to your services.msc (Start then Run then type services.msc), then verify that The System Restore Service and the Task Schedular are Set as LOCAL SYSTEM (for their, "log on as..". ALso make sure they are both set to AUTOMATIC.

Next, in your Registry, Check The Following Keys:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\SystemRestore
The Default Values for this key should be

name - type - data
Default - REG_SZ - (value not set)
Compression Burst - REG_DWORD-60
CreateFirstRunRp- REG_DWORD-1
DisableSR- REG_DWORD-0
DiskPercent- REG_DWORD12-
DsMax- REG_DWORD-400
DsMin- REG_DWORD-200
RestoreDiskSpaceError- REG_DWORD-0
RPGlobalInterval- REG_WORD-86400
RPLifeInterval- REG_DWORD-777600
RPSessionInterval- REG_DWORD-0
ThawInterval- REG_DWORD-900
TimerInterval- REG_DWORD-120

Next Go to this Key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Srservice
name - type - data
DependOnGroup-REG_MULTI_SZ-
DependOnService - REG_MULTI_SZ - RpcSs
Description - Reg_Sz - Performs System Restore Functions to Stop service...etc
DisplayName -REG-SZ - System Restore Service
ErrorControl-REG_DWORD - 1
ImagePath - REG_EXPAND_SZ - %SystemRoot%\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs
ObjectName - REG_SZ-LocalSystem
Start-REG_DWORD- 2
Type - REG_DWORD - 32

Then lastly go to this Key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Sr
Error Control - REG_DWORD - System Restore Filter Driver
Group - REG_SZ - 1
Image Path - REG_EXPAND_SZ - FSFilter System Recovery
Start - REG_DWORD - 0
Tag - REG_DWORD - 4
Type -REG_DWORD - 2

Check those, and post back
Free PC Help: At FixMyXP.com, our Speciality is Windows XP.
Got An XP Problem or Question? Get expert help, all free Check it out!
Click Here to go to FixMyXP's Windows XP Help Forum

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users