Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No internet access, system restore disabled

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 Rose1957

Rose1957

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 PM

Posted 16 November 2009 - 01:31 PM

H, I have been asked to move my problem to this area, as the machine is indeed infected with trojans and viruses.

Running Windows XP Home. These are the symptoms:
1. Unable to enable Windows Firewall. (set on disabled, radio buttons greyed out).
2.System Restore does not work...i.e. absolutely nothing happens when I click on System Restore.
3. Hangs on trying to get to internet. Icon keeps going round and round but nothing else happens.
4. AVG "looks" like its running, but as I cannot get access to the internet, it seems a bit suspicious when it 'says' it has updated successfully (by showing a valid 'update date').

I have run SuperAntiSpyware, which picked up several trojans and other stuff, and will post the screenshots if instructed to ??
I then told SuperAntispyware to get rid of them, which it appeared to do.These are (were?) the problem files:

Trojan.DollarRevenue (2 items)
Trojan.SmartLoad(1 item)
Adware.Tracking Cookies (224items)
Adware.Mirar/NetNucleus (1 item- WinATS.inf).

I then told SuperAntispyware to get rid of them, which it appeared to do.

I then ran MBAM and it picked up more infected files. Appeared to get rid of them, but the log says No Action Taken, so not sure if they are still there or not.
System Restore is still greyed out (System Security disabled) and I'm reluctant to try anything further without advice.

Thanks
Rose

Edited by Rose1957, 16 November 2009 - 09:33 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rose1957

Rose1957
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2009 - 06:34 PM

It seems that now I am unable to boot into Safe Mode, as the keyboard is being disabled in that critical time where F8 should work.
Not sure why this is happening.
Thanks in advance,
Rose

#3 Rose1957

Rose1957
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2009 - 11:02 PM

Hi,
Can you please close this - I have given it to someone else to fix.
Thanks anyway,
Rose

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,199 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 AM

Posted 18 November 2009 - 12:28 AM

Thank you for letting us know.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users