Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Winfixer 2005 + other annoying ad popups

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 edichen

edichen

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 07 August 2005 - 10:40 AM

I've just recently been introduced to bleeping computer. Last week I somehow managed to get this annoying adware infection so now everytime I use IE, i get these Winfixer 2005 msgs, search-h, etc.

I've tried using Autoruns and Ad-Aware but still haven't fixed the problem.

Perhaps I'm not understanding how to use all the software and need a bit more help with it. I'm afraid to delete something that I actually need for my PC to work. These sneeky adware leeches manage to make themselves so inconspicuous (their whole point).

At my wits end now, can someone help me out

Edited by edichen, 07 August 2005 - 10:42 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,663 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 AM

Posted 08 August 2005 - 02:19 PM

Hi edichen. Welcome to BleepinComputer!

If I'm not mistaken, you have a vundo infection and probably some others. I would like to be able to tell you how to fix it, but I don't have enough information. Also vundo is extremely difficult to remove--it has to be done in a certain way that might involve shutting down explorer and this one is a new variant that the experts are still figuring out.

So I suggest that you post a HijackThis log to get some guidance on how to remove this scumware. It's basically the same type of program as Autoruns. With the information contained in the log we should be able to figure out what to do. Here's my canned speech for getting a log posted:
-----------
Click on the link below and follow the steps in that tutorial so you can get a log posted:
How to post a HijackThis Log

You can of course skip step 1. But be sure to follow all the other steps and use the links in the tutorial to:

1. Download the self-extracting HijackThis.
2. Open the HijackThis Logs and Analysis forum to start a new Topic in that forum. It is important that you post your log into a new topic in that forum. If you have any problems here is a link again:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...?act=SF&s=&f=22

It may be a day or two before you get an answer. But it is also important that you not post again to the topic you started asking for help or wondering if you will get help or otherwise "bumping" your thread/topic. In order to work on a first come-first served basis, helpers look for the oldest topics with zero replies.

BUT, once you receive a reply, stay in the topic that you have started. Do not start another thread.
----------------
Doing it this way will help you figure out how to sove these type problems. Don't hesitate to ask whatever helper you get for more information.

We always did feel the same

We just started from a different point of view

Tangled up in blue--Bob Dylan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users