Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

i need my control panel back

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 curious_novice

curious_novice

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 PM

Posted 16 November 2009 - 11:01 AM

I really have a few issues i need to get fixed, but i first need the control panel. The computer is a work computer that i use very seldom. It works without the control panel ( explorer and other installed programs). It has been gone for over a year, but i now need it so that i can network the other work computer. It started after an infection. I don't remember the virus name, but i got the machine to work again and let it be. The computer has only one user "owner" to log in. I would expect Owner to have "administrator" privilege, but it won't allow any changes. My hope is that if i down load and run "combofix" will the control come back? Is there a simpler way?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 forrestmage

forrestmage

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 PM

Posted 16 November 2009 - 01:27 PM

Combofix might work. Is the work computer part of a domain? Control panel access can be taken away by the domain security policy. The easiest thing may be to run a repair install of Windows, or do a full clean install. Repair can replace files that have been deleted by malware or by a malware scanner. The plus to a repair is that your programs don't have to be reinstalled (usually), you just need to reapply Microsoft patches. The downside is that infections are not wiped away, since the file system tables remain intact. A fresh install get's rid of the malware but you have to reinstall everything and apply a bunch of Microsoft patches. Of course, if the computer is a part of a domain and has a domain security policy, you may not be able to do either.

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:02:41 PM

Posted 16 November 2009 - 02:16 PM

Please note the message text in blue at the top of the Am I infected? What do I do? forum.

ComboFix is an extremely powerful tool which should only be used when instructed to do so by someone who has been properly trained. ComboFix is intended by its creator to be "used under the guidance and supervision of an expert", NOT for general public or personal use. Please read Combofix's Disclaimer. Using this tool incorrectly could lead to disastrous problems with your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 16 November 2009 - 02:40 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users