Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP only loads in Debugging Mode

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 imitationcoffee

imitationcoffee

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 AM

Posted 16 November 2009 - 10:34 AM

Hi everyone. I was on my computer a few days ago and an error came up while I was reading a news website, something about rundll32.exe had to be closed. The window gave me the option to select "OK" or to close the window by the x in the corner, and I chose "OK". Immediately the computer shutdown and tried to reboot. Upon rebooting, the computer went to a blue screen. I restarted again and tried to run in Safe Mode. Same problem, went to blue screen. The only option that worked upon booting was Debugging Mode. That loaded my desktop normally, and it appeared my files were still intact. I ran a few virus scans (Symantec, MBAM, etc.) and cleared a few minor threats, but nothing significant. The computer appears to be running normally, but I can't imagine that running in Debugging Mode can be good for the computer. Anyway, I backed-up most of my irreplaceable files and they seem to be okay. If anyone has any idea on how to get the computer back up to running normally, that'd be great. By the way, running Windows XP SP 3. I keep everything up to date, and have had the computer for a long time with minimal problems. I can give more information, let me know what you might need. Thanks guys.

Sorry if in the wrong forum section, didn't know which one to pick.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,563 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 AM

Posted 16 November 2009 - 11:05 AM

I would try to initiate chkdsk /r from this debugging mode...then reboot and see if it will run.

Start/Run...type chkdsk /r and hit Enter. Type Y in response to onscreen query and hit Enter. Reboot.

It helps if you post the content of the blue screen error message.

Louis

#3 imitationcoffee

imitationcoffee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2009 - 11:16 AM

Thanks Louis.

Is there any downside to running chkdsk /r? I was going to try it last week, but didn't want to cause any harm to my computer. I know I have the files backed-up, but I'd prefer not to start from the beginning (reinstall OS).

I'm at work right now, I have the details from the blue screen error at home, will post tonight.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,563 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2009 - 11:25 AM

Chkdsk (and particularly, the chkdsk /r command) is probably the best tool for attempting to fix XP problems that I know of. The only things better, IMO...might be a repair install of XP or a clean install of XP and those will not diagnose hard drive or NTFS problems (which chkdsk /r will attempt to do).

No downside that I've ever seen or imagined :thumbsup:.

Louis

#5 imitationcoffee

imitationcoffee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2009 - 11:29 AM

Sounds good. I'll perform the chkdsk /r command tonight and let the board know how things turned out. Thanks a lot.

#6 imitationcoffee

imitationcoffee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2009 - 05:15 PM

Well, ran the chkdsk /r command and didn't seem to cure the problem. Computer restarted and still could not load into Normal Mode or Safe Mode. I'm back running in Debugging Mode and everything appears to be the same. I've attached two pictures: The one on the left is the error screen that I get when I try to run Windows normally; the one on the right is the error screen I get when I try to run Windows in Safe Mode. There's a slight difference in the error, but either way I have no idea what to do. Any other ideas? Thanks for the help.

Attached Files

Edited by imitationcoffee, 16 November 2009 - 05:17 PM.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,563 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2009 - 06:10 PM

In any case...I suggest that you search for any .dmp files on your C: partition...and then follow the suggestions at Help Diagnosing BSODs And Crashes (BC) - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/176011/how-to-receive-help-diagnosing-blue-screens-and-windows-crashes/, if possible.

That may give us clues as to what driver (this seems to be a driver problem, but...then you ought to be able to boot into safe mode unless it's a Windows system driver) is at the root of the problem.

Louis

#8 imitationcoffee

imitationcoffee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2009 - 07:19 PM

Good idea, Louis, but, I can't seem to generate a memory dump of any kind. The steps I went through are as follows.

My Computer > Properties > Advanced > Startup and Recovery > Settings

Initially, the "Write an event to the system log" was unchecked,so then I checkmarked it. Next, under "Write debugging information" it initially had "none" selected. I changed that to "Small memory dump (64 KB)", then restarted computer allowing it to try to load normally to create Blue Screen. Then restarted at said blue screen and loaded Windows using Debugging Mode. After my desktop loads, there is no memory dump collected. I checked Event Viewer and had two errors:

The system could not sucessfully load the crash dump driver.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

and

Configuring the Page file for crash dump failed. Make sure there is a page file on the boot partition and that is large enough to contain all physical memory.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Not sure what to make of it. Also, while trying to load Safe Mode, I paid particular attention to the loading screen to determine if there was a hang-up with any drivers. The computer waits for awhile during the loading of SPTD.sys and I looked that up. Some other people have experienced issues with said driver before, thought that might help someone with my problem. Anyway, let me know if anyone has any ideas. Thanks.

#9 imitationcoffee

imitationcoffee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2009 - 07:48 PM

Somehow, on a hunch, I renamed the SPTD.sys file to SPTD.bak (read in a forum that this helped other users with starting Windows normally). I was now able to start Windows normally on my computer. So far, so good. I'm not sure of the consequences of renaming said file, so I will still be diligent, but I'm leaning towards the idea that this is a good sign. Will keep posted, thanks.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,563 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2009 - 08:48 PM

FWIW: http://www.file.net/process/sptd.sys.html

If you have any of the programs mentioned...on your system...I would suspect that it is in need of an uninstall/reinstall or removal.

Louis

#11 imitationcoffee

imitationcoffee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2009 - 09:51 AM

After a few days worth of tweaking and such, my computer is back to running normally. Removing the SPTD.sys driver from startup allowed my computer to run normally. The driver must have been installed when I used to use Alcohol 120%, but I uninstalled this program a few months ago. Not sure why the computer would have all of a sudden had this issue, but it appears to be resolved now. Thanks.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,563 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2009 - 10:06 AM

Attempts to unninstall programs that may have poorly written uninstall routines...often results in files or registry entries being left on the system when the uninstall effort is made.

When such files become damaged...when any file becomes damaged...the results are somewhat incapable of being predictable/expected.

And...sometimes pointers to such files remain in startup, leading to error messages when booting the system.

Glad you resolved it, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 23 November 2009 - 12:15 PM.

#13 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 AM

Posted 23 November 2009 - 11:50 AM

If this problem was due to a program uninstallation, you may want to consider using Revo Uninstaller. A lot of us use it and it works great.

http://www.revouninstaller.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users